Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Mat Latos Article (signing autographs).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saferseas

Mar 9, 2010
Portland, OR
Yeah, i can't stand people that hate certain players or have a vendetta against them because they didn't sign for them.

On the other hand, I also hate when athletes show distaste toward fans who sell some autographs they acquire. You get payed millions to play a friggin' game....you're in no position to tell a fan, who may be just scraping by financially, not to sell an autograph or memorabilia piece or whatever. And I absolutely don't think a player wife, who probably married into their wealth, has a right to do that either.

Fans should respect the athletes' space, but I think fans should be able to do whatever they want with the autograph.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
saferseas said:
Yeah, i can't stand people that hate certain players or have a vendetta against them because they didn't sign for them.

On the other hand, I also hate when athletes show distaste toward fans who sell some autographs they acquire. You get payed millions to play a friggin' game....you're in no position to tell a fan, who may be just scraping by financially, not to sell an autograph or memorabilia piece or whatever. And I absolutely don't think a player wife, who probably married into their wealth, has a right to do that either.

Fans should respect the athletes' space, but I think fans should be able to do whatever they want with the autograph.

As she said, it's the people with binders full of cards that ruin it.

"Hey Mat, can you sign 23 of the same card!!"

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I thought that was a good read.

As far as the scraping by financially comment if you are having that much trouble you should be working and not chasing athletes IMHO.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Several years ago I had a media credential in the Cub minor league system. I did lunch with a pair of guys in AA ball and the autograph subject came up. Both agreed that players should sign, but the stacks of cards are a bit much.

For those who have never seen an autograph pro, do yourself the enjoyment of going to the wall at a pro baseball game. There are dudes that show up with filing systems and clipboard sheets that have 9 or 10 cards of the same guy. My personal favorite is when an adult bribes a kid to get something signed for them.

It's cool to be a fan/collector but have some restraint.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
Great Article. As much as I agree with the things said, I cannot honestly say I have not been pissed at athletes for not signing.

For example in Cincinnatti when Joey Votto came walking out of the ball park alone and I was the only one there. I approached him asking him to sign a ball, and he said "no..not tonight" then walked about 10 feet away and waited for a taxi for about 2 minutes.

But hey, I got over it pretty fast. My philosiphy in IP autographing is bank on the fact that you will get no one, and be excited if you do get someone.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I think one of the problems with Mat is his demeanor. He can come off as very rude and annoyed and I'm sure that bugs people, especially when he denies them. I've met Mat a few times and he's signed for me a few times, let's just say he wasn't oozing with excitement to sign any of the times.

One of the times was at ST and he signed for a solid 20 minutes, there were around 50-100 people and a bunch looking for autographs. He literally went to each kid first then the adults, thought that was cool.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
I agree with everything she said. Too many autograph chasers that are rude and obnoxious. See all the time and games and even away from the field.

socalsignatures

Aug 28, 2008
An athletes wife telling people to not make money off her husbands athletic ability is the definition of the whole kettle/pot/back thing.

For the record, Mat never signed more than 1-2 at a time even as early as low-a ball in the MWL. He actually got better about signing once he hit the bigs and even then he had loads of attitude about it.

She should stick to being a hot athlete's wife and let Mat handle the autograph thing as he sees fit.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
socalsignatures said:
An athletes wife telling people to not make money off her husbands athletic ability is the definition of the whole kettle/pot/back thing.

For the record, Mat never signed more than 1-2 at a time even as early as low-a ball in the MWL. He actually got better about signing once he hit the bigs and even then he had loads of attitude about it.

She should stick to being a hot athlete's wife and let Mat handle the autograph thing as he sees fit.

Considering most of her time out being a "hot athletes wife" with her husband is interrupted by grown men begging for free autographs its her problem also.

socalsignatures

Aug 28, 2008
nyc3 said:
socalsignatures said:

Considering most of her time out being a "hot athletes wife" with her husband is interrupted by grown men begging for free autographs its her problem also.

Very few people are begging for Mat Latos autographs. I do IP graphing in San Diego and there never mob scenes for him. Usually 3-6 people at a time and we would all orderly line up and Mat would either sign one per person or ignore everybody.

Her implying that autographers and ebayers are a huge annoyance is just wrong. That comes with being an athlete. People are gonna ask you to sign stuff and some of those people are gonna sell it. In the end, the autograph ends up in the hands of a fan regardless, to stress about it like she does is pointless.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
socalsignatures said:
nyc3 said:
socalsignatures said:
Her implying that autographers and ebayers are a huge annoyance is just wrong. That comes with being an athlete. People are gonna ask you to sign stuff and some of those people are gonna sell it. In the end, the autograph ends up in the hands of a fan regardless, to stress about it like she does is pointless.
No doubt. Poor millionaires : (

saferseas

Mar 9, 2010
Portland, OR
I would agree that having a big stack of things for one player to sign falls into the category of not respecting the player, either his time or privacy.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
socalsignatures said:

You're clueless.

Did you travel with Mat?

Are you calling Mat Latos hot? Because I'm pretty sure your sentence should read: She should stick to being an athlete's hot wife (not hot athlete's wife) and let Mat handle the autograph thing as he sees fit.

WaxPax

RITM said:
Several years ago I had a media credential in the Cub minor league system. I did lunch with a pair of guys in AA ball and the autograph subject came up. Both agreed that players should sign, but the stacks of cards are a bit much.

For those who have never seen an autograph pro, do yourself the enjoyment of going to the wall at a pro baseball game. There are dudes that show up with filing systems and clipboard sheets that have 9 or 10 cards of the same guy. My personal favorite is when an adult bribes a kid to get something signed for them.

It's cool to be a fan/collector but have some restraint.

This has always bugged me personally. Having been to 4 ST sites just this year, I've seen the same buch of ********** with thier photo albums begging for mutliple auto's from guys. On more than one occasion these guys have asked me or my kids to try to get players attention to come over. When I was in Bradenton for the Pirates a few weeks ago, this one guy literally was flipping page after page for one player (I can't remember who) to sign. I go with my boys for THEM to get some ink on card or a ball. I find it very entertaining watching these guys beg for players to sign, it borders on pathetic especially when the guy is in his 40's or 50's. I usually just hang back and take pictures of workouts and such. Being in my 40's I have a tough time asking a player who is young enough to be my son for an auto....

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Getting multiple things signed or stalking them at a restaurant is kind of off limits.
But come on, is life really that hard sitting at home while your husband makes millions playing a kids game?

Members online