Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So....where are all the set collectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
One thing that has been frustrating for me when it comes to the various forums I visit is the lack of set collectors out there. What I am talking about are the collectors that are actively working on sets from the 80's, 90's, 00's. Every time I check out the trade sections, 99% of the time it people trading, selling or buying autos and low #'s parallels. It's usually sellers that are trying to flip to make a few bucks or buyers looking to purchase so they can sell for a few bucks down the road.

If a forum has a set collectors section (like FCB does) its only people looking to put together this year or last years sets. I never see posts from people trying to finish up their 2004 Topps Heritage set or 1995 Topps Gold parallel set.

On one forum, I posted that I was in need of some 2006 A&G mini regular backs. It got 5 views and no responses - while posts about newer cards got dozens of views and several replies.

So are my fellow set collectors just finding different avenues to fill their older sets? Is the hobby in need of a resource where set collectors can gather to help each other fill sets?

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
MOFNY said:
Which sets can I help with? I have a good sized selection from the mid 90s to 2003. Give me a wantlist and I can take a look for you.

Me too. Post up a want list somewhere and I am sure you will get some help.

Thanks,

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
Thanks for the inquries guys. Much appreciated.

I know there are alot of collectors on here with miscellaneous cards that are more than willing to help a fellow collector in need - that's what I love about FCB. This thread was more of a question of where are all the set collectors are. I remember trading cards with buddies of mine to help finish each others sets and I am sure that has carried over from the porch on a Saturday afternoon to the online community. Just wondering where those guys are at.

And to answer your question, I am currently heavily focused on finish my 2006 A&G mini regular backs set and secondarily working on '87 Donruss and '89 UD. After I get those three done I will be moving on to 2003 Topps 205 Series 2. Pm me if you got anything.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I worked on quite a few sets last year (not sure if I'll be doing any this year, other things keeping me busy) but yeah, most of my posts went weeks without a response. I'd say I had the best luck on The Bench though. PM sent regarding '87 Donruss :)

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I've picked up a bunch of Heritage base sets for pretty cheap, so I'm beginning the long, expensive process of tracking down SP's. Doing the same with A&G mini sets.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Slette said:
I've picked up a bunch of Heritage base sets for pretty cheap, so I'm beginning the long, expensive process of tracking down SP's. Doing the same with A&G mini sets.

I've got the 2009 heritage SSP Variations available if you're interested. Won't break your bank.

1_502b87f657d481d14ba5536faf25ca5d.jpg

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I think you are right in that the set building board has mainly people looking for the most recent sets and its gets discouraging if you are looking for 87 Donruss like you are. I think I will give the set building board another try as I have a bunch of small sets laying around that have not been filled yet because I felt the postings on that board dont get much attention if you are not looking for the recent Ginters of Bowman Chromes.

By the way...I have a boat load of 87 Donruss and 89 UD if you are looking to do some trading. I am working on those sets as well and would love to work something out. And for the record I am looking for cards to fill out my master Heritage sets from all four sports for 2001 and 2002. I will post want lists on the set building boards if anyone has some of these cards that they want to trade or sell.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
TBTwinsFan said:
I am currently working on the 1958 Topps set.
It's challenging, that's for sure.
Me too.
I'm almost finished (see sig).
I have most of the big cards (Mantle, Williams, Maris, Mays, Koufax, Aaron, etc.)
I just need Clemente and a few lesser cards.

TBTwinsFans, why did you choose the '58 set?
I started it a few years ago because it was my Dad's favorite set as a kid and we both like how colorful it is.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
My experience with trades on this board and others is that you wind up pulling cards and never get a response or the recipient is not willing to give anything up in trade. I sent one guy 200 Topps Heritage cards he needed and 100 free doubles and he COMPLAINED about the free cards saying I ripped him off because there were no short prints mixed in! In reality I have one successful trade for every five failed trades. It gets frustrating and it's not me. I'll trade in your favor just to get rid of cards and free up some space. If we can't come up with a trade, I'll sell below eBay value, etc. but yet successful trades remain elusive.

The trade board is also not visible from the "Board Index". It's a level beneath the Hobby Talk forum so I think it gets overlooked. There is very little activity there.

Tom

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
ive been working on sets from topps for a year now. ive been thinking of starting a set either from the 60's or start another 70's one

sets i want to get started in are 62 65 76 77

i want to get every set since 89 also since the year i was born i have a few of these and also i have some of the UD ones

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Not much of a set collector but I'm putting the 2011 Topps Tier One Blue /199 set together. I just liked the look of the cards. :mrgreen:

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Austin said:
TBTwinsFan said:
I am currently working on the 1958 Topps set.
It's challenging, that's for sure.

TBTwinsFans, why did you choose the '58 set?
I started it a few years ago because it was my Dad's favorite set as a kid and we both like how colorful it is.

Sometime, about a year ago or so, I decided to start collecting vintage more. I figured that the way I would go about this was to go on eBay, and buy the cheapest and oldest vintage card I could. I would do this once or twice a week. It just happened that most of the cards were from the '58 set. Then, a member here saw what I was doing and sent me a package full of cards. All but one was a '58.

I decided to just go for it. I am about a fourth of the way done.

I do like the colors of the set though and how they pop.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts