Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Condition/Value of these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
Looking for a few quick opinions on these cards. I know it's not easy to tell and might be the best pics. But just at a glance, what does the Mantle and Mays look like? 6-7? Less?

I have to descide, break it up and sell raw? Sell as a raw set? Break it up and grade the stars? Grade everything and sell as a set?

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
Thanks. I'm hoping for a minimum of 5 on most. Any 6 would be a nice surprise.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
Up one time for any more opinions.

What would an ungraded '56 Topps set, in this overall condition, be able to get on Ebay? I'm conservatively thinking $3000-$3500.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
There are a ton of graded mixed in. Just not the '56 set. Seller said cards were his fathers. By this guys age and lack of overall sports knowledge while talking to him, I was inclined to believe that he had little to no interest in baseball or baseball cards. I'm no expert on grading or trimming, but it was the first thing I examined before purchasing. I looked at the edges and corners. And I compared seceral of the cards to each other to check for size difference. Everything looked ok to me. Not to say I couldn't make a mistake but I felt very confident.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Buy them like they would grade out at a 3 to protect yourself.You can't tell from those pictures what they would grade.The images don't give you enough to tell if there are surface wrinkles or if they are trimmed.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Titans74 said:
Beware of member TomMurry. Google "Garkocollector banned". See how many sites he is banned from. Also look for links to user id Garkocollector and Topps.com. You can read all about how he bought two Shoeless Joe Jackson reprints, artificially aged them, lied and said he found them at an antique shop and tried to con people into buying them as originals.
Regarding that in your sig, if those allegations are true, how in the world is he still an active member on this site?

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Austin said:
Titans74 said:
Beware of member TomMurry. Google "Garkocollector banned". See how many sites he is banned from. Also look for links to user id Garkocollector and Topps.com. You can read all about how he bought two Shoeless Joe Jackson reprints, artificially aged them, lied and said he found them at an antique shop and tried to con people into buying them as originals.
Regarding that in your sig, if those allegations are true, how in the world is he still an active member on this site?
UH OHHH
Here we go.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
Austin said:
Titans74 said:

I don't want to derail my own thread but everything is 100% true and can easily be verified with a few minutes on Google and a little time well invested in reading about his past escapades. His last former id Garkocollector is banned on all, if not all then close to all, other sports card trading sites. There is a list out there with a good amount of the aliases, ebay id's, forum id's and multiple mailing addresses he's used to commit fraud.

As for why he is allowed here. I'm not the man to answer that as I have no control over it. Chris has addressed it in the past and has made his decision. While I actually agree with his decision that doesn't mean that Tom Murry will get to fly under the radar and try to hide from his past (and possible current) actions. I have no problem reminding those who are new or those who have forgotten or those who never knew.

Now back to 1956 Topps! I'm pretty excited to get these graded. Shouod be a nice little flip.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Titans has said his peace and nothing else needs to be mentioned about it in this thread. If you have questions please PM titans about his investigative reporting and research and I'm sure he'll be glad to assist you with more info. And Titans I really hope you consider what I said to ya via PM.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
blanning71 said:
Titans has said his peace and nothing else needs to be mentioned about it in this thread. If you have questions please PM titans about his investigative reporting and research and I'm sure he'll be glad to assist you with more info. And Titans I really hope you consider what I said to ya via PM.

I have no problem answering questions out in the open. No need to try and have it privatized in PM. That's how crooks continually get away with their deeds. And I haven't read your pm and have no intentions to. You come to Tom's defense at every opportunity. He's an adult, let him answer for his own past. He doesn't need a cosigner.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I really see no gain in selling these raw. Once they are in slabs, any doubt to a potential buyer goes out the window.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Titans74 said:
blanning71 said:

I have no problem answering questions out in the open. No need to try and have it privatize in PM. That's how crooks continually get away with their deeds. And I haven't read your pm and have no intentions to. You come to Tom's defense at every opportunity. He's an adult, let him answer for his own past. He doesn't need a cosigner.

I am not a cosigner. I am not defending him. I just have problems with threads getting derailed about something totally off topic. This isn't Magnum PI, NYPD Blue, or an episode of Dateline NBC. This is a baseball card forum and people should be able to enjoy themselves. If you have a personal mission to inform people about certain members pasts, then thats fine. Make a thread about it, discuss it and move on. As you stated, Chris has said his peace on this issue. I am not alone (amongst the staff here) in feeling like your signature is nothing short of trolling and we have suspended other members for going back and forth in signatures and avatars. If you would have read my PM, you would have realized that I understand your issue with him and your diligence in informing others about the wrongdoings of people. I simply asked you to modify your signature to be more accomodating so that future threads do not get derailed if someone happens to read your signature......as evidenced by this instance here.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
markakis8 said:
I really see no gain in selling these raw. Once they are in slabs, any doubt to a potential buyer goes out the window.

I agree. I was hoping for the answer I got, that they might get atleast 5's. I'm not a steady grader so I don't know all about the costs and could be wrong, but I just don't see grading them and getting 4's a worthwhile venture. So long as the bulk and some of the better stars get 5's with the occassional 6 I will certainly grade them all. I wouldn't doubt that I will see a 4 here and there. I'm ok with that. I agree with you, no need to flip raw. Unless I just wanted a quick buck and didn't mind leaving a large sum of money on the table.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
Blanning,

I appreciate your concern over my thread, that I started about my cards, being derailed. Thank you, but I am perfectly capable of handling it and getting it back on track. A question was asked, it was answered and we are now back on track. Derailment avoided.

Thanks again.

Now, back to 1956 Topps and grading.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Titans74 said:
Blanning,

I appreciate your concern over my thread, that I started about my cards, being derailed. Thank you, but I am perfectly capable of handling it and getting it back on track. A question was asked, it was answered and we are now back on track. Derailment avoided.

Thanks again.

Now, back to 1956 Topps and grading.

how bout this

I'm gonna change your signature

and you will not change it back without getting tossed.

The problem with your signature is that you can't have a conversation on this board without that issue coming up. That isn't fair to any thread you post in. It interferes with the sites operation as a whole.

And as I have explained about Tom on here before, he hasn't scammed anyone on this site and until he does I can't ban him.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
cgilmo said:
and on the subject of dr tom, what the crap do you want m e to do? This?

:lol: I can't believe the issue was just brought up in a completely random thread.

On the flip side, the time you invest into getting them all (or a carefully selected few) graded will pay dividends for you in the future. Love the Mantle and Mays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts