Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Tyson signs with.............yup Upper Deck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The modern era’s most famous boxing personality now has an autograph and trading card contract. Upper Deck announced Monday that it had signed Mike Tyson to an agreement. Tyson autographs will appear in the upcoming 2012 Goodwin Champions cards as well as other releases throughout the rest of 2012. He’ll also sign for Upper Deck Authenticated.

Tyson’s once brilliant—and often bizarre---career is enjoying a bit of a renaissance thanks to his upcoming one-man show in Las Vegas, his well-received appearance in The Hangover and an increase in public appearances including the National Sports Collectors Convention.

“Having the opportunity to partner with Mike Tyson provides Upper Deck the chance to bring the boxing community innovative and quality collectibles the likes of which they have never seen,” said Jason Masherah, Upper Deck’s vice president of Marketing and Business Development. “Collectors will get quite a thrill when they pull an autograph card of ‘Iron’ Mike from new Upper Deck packs. Our Upper Deck Authenticated team is thrilled about developing signed memorabilia for Tyson that will become the primary talking piece for any room they are displayed in.”

Tyson will make his trading card debut in Upper Deck’s 2012 Goodwin Champions and appear in several other trading card releases this year. Tyson autographs on those cards will be randomly inserted.

Upper Deck Authenticated is holding a signing session with the former unified heavyweight champ soon. One of the pieces will be a “Tegata” which will not only include a Tyson autograph, but also an ink hand print. This Japanese inspired collectible made their debut from UDA with exclusive spokesmen Michael Jordan and LeBron James in the last year.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
JzWand said:
I know for a fact Tyson is not a cheap guy to get autos from so how does UD have the money to sign a guy of his stature?
Because they are a business and they have money.

Just because they've chosen not to pay people doesn't mean they don't have money.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
ChasHawk said:
JzWand said:
I know for a fact Tyson is not a cheap guy to get autos from so how does UD have the money to sign a guy of his stature?

Just because they've chosen not to pay people doesn't mean they don't have money.
I would think that if they choose not to pay people they aren't a reputable business. Unless the subjects didn't fulfill their obligations and that was part of a contractual agreement, just not paying someone is shady. And if they had money I would think they would have squared up with MLBPA already.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
blanning71 said:
ChasHawk said:
JzWand said:

I would think that if they choose not to pay people they aren't a reputable business. Unless the subjects didn't fulfill their obligations and that was part of a contractual agreement, just not paying someone is shady. And if they had money I would think they would have squared up with MLBPA already.
Do we know Upper Deck's side to these issues?

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
ChasHawk said:
blanning71 said:
ChasHawk said:
JzWand said:

Do we know Upper Deck's side to these issues?

LIke I said, if you will read what I wrote, if these players didn't fulfill part of some sort of an agreement, I could understand not paying them. But if its a royalty that the players are owed.....then all I can say is "where's the beef?"

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
ChasHawk said:
JzWand said:

I would think that if they choose not to pay people they aren't a reputable business.

You'd be surprised at the number of businesses you wouldn't consider reputable if you knew what went on in the commercial construction industry.

I know first hand that you would not consider Subway a reputable business. I know from people that worked on Patriot Place for the beloved Robert Kraft, and you would also not consider them a reputable business.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
“Having the opportunity to partner with Mike Tyson provides Upper Deck the chance to bring the boxing community innovative and quality collectibles the likes of which they have never seen,” said Jason Masherah, Upper Deck’s vice president of Marketing and Business Development.

I feel like that's quite the statement after the HUGE success Ali was for Leaf. Maybe it's just me, but I would MUCH rather have something from Ali than Tyson...

/10

Aug 1, 2011
A bunch of 30-somethings grew up with Tyson as an unstoppable force. Haven't you read Bo Knows Bo? :)

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
Just because he signed doesnt mean they have paid or will ever pay him.

Found out today from a shop in another state I called about an item that UD owes them over $2200 for going and getting stickers signed. So UD owes players and stores, they are hanging by a thread and its going to snap soon.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
The business is making crappy products that you can sell a bunch of and not have to spend anything to make.

and for UD business is good.

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
I hope they DON'T pay Tyson... I want to read all about him biting off McWilliams ear... make that ears :D

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
ljw29 said:
Just because he signed doesnt mean they have paid or will ever pay him.

Found out today from a shop in another state I called about an item that UD owes them over $2200 for going and getting stickers signed. So UD owes players and stores, they are hanging by a thread and its going to snap soon.

people have been saying that for 5 years now.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
Tyson will make his trading card debut in Upper Deck’s 2012 Goodwin Champions...

This is the part I don't understand. Are they simply unaware Tyson was on cards before? Or choosing to ignore them to make a bigger splash with whoever might read this and wouldn't care to verify it? I imagine mainstream media on a slow day might pick up this item and print it as fact.

Members online