Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Beltran pays for his former teammate's nose job.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
By Adam Rubin | ESPN.com

JUPITER, Fla. -- St. Louis Cardinals center fielder Carlos Beltran is a man of his word -- and his ex-teammate Jon Niese has a new nose as a result.

Beltran, who offered last summer to pay for a nose job for Niese, has in fact paid the $10,000 bill, the New York Mets left-hander said.

Beltran and Niese were teammates when the offer was made last July. Niese went through with the rhinoplasty procedure in October.

Beltran carried through with the promise despite having been traded away from the Mets. He spent the second half of last season with the San Francisco Giants, and now is with the Cardinals.

Niese's motivation for the nose job originally was cosmetic, but he said he has been breathing better since the elective procedure.

Beltran had toyed with Niese earlier this spring training about the payment.
During a visit with the Cardinals to Port St. Lucie, Fla., for a spring training game two weeks ago against the Mets, Beltran found $5 on the floor of the visitors' dugout and playfully told reporters: "Give it to Niese. He needs it."

He also joked that there ought to be a check-presentation ceremony.

"How's his nose look?" Beltran also asked reporters during the visit.
A little better, Beltran was told.
"A little bit? ... So should I pay? Should I not?"

Said Niese: "He wanted me to have a new nose. So he offered to pay for it. I was just like, 'All right.' Then it turned into seeing doctors and to getting it fixed."

mlb_eg_niese_gb1_600.jpg

New nose on the left.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
PadresFan86 said:
What was wrong with his nose?

His old nose was pretty busted and that is obvious. No shame in a bad nose, mine was broken very badly with a lacrosse ball when i was 10 and I have a scar on the tip that is noticeable. Shrug. Niese's new nose is much better but paid for by another man who seems to not be that gracious of a benefactor. So that ads an interesting element to the story.

I guess we can all agree on this....

Mets, lol

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
Lancemountain said:
PadresFan86 said:

His old nose was pretty busted and that is obvious. No shame in a bad nose, mine was broken very badly with a lacrosse ball when i was 10 and I have a scar on the tip that is noticeable. Shrug. Niese's new nose is much better but paid for by another man who seems to not be that gracious of a benefactor. So that ads an interesting element to the story.

Mets, lol

just joking around here, but it is impossible to break your nose since it's cartilage and not bone... i'm not trying to start anything ove a nose just having fun, so for all the people here looking for a fight look elsewhere

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
What does that mean? It was a good natured 'thing' between the two guys and Beltran paid for the surgery.

Lancemountain said:
PadresFan86 said:

Mets, lol

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It was not entirely cosmetic. It also corrected a deviated septum which makes it much easier for him to breathe through his nose.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Lars said:
What does that mean? It was a good natured 'thing' between the two guys and Beltran paid for the surgery.

Lancemountain said:
PadresFan86 said:

Mets, lol

It means by the quotes provided, Beltran was not a gracious benefactor. Think I already posted those exact words. :|

Members online