Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grading for noobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I'm thinking on sending my first cards for grading, but I basically don't know anything.
First of all, is there any topic with generalities of grading? So I can go there, if not I have a few very basic questions, please excuse my ignorance.

Does a 9 carry any premium over a raw card? or should I just request minimum grade 9.5?
How do I get the centering and what is the number I should look for? For surface I should use just a magnifying glass? What is recommended to clean the surface?

Any advice will be gladly accepted.

Thanks a lot

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
r2d2 said:
I'm thinking on sending my first cards for grading, but I basically don't know anything.
First of all, is there any topic with generalities of grading? So I can go there, if not I have a few very basic questions, please excuse my ignorance.

Does a 9 carry any premium over a raw card? No, not usually for modern but people still get lots of cards encased as 9s for the protective element alone (and it's cheap through the FCB sub) or should I just request minimum grade 9.5? I'd only do this if it is modern chrome/sterling/leaf etc.
How do I get the centering and what is the number I should look for? you can blow up a scan, or post a scan here and others will tell you, once you get the hang of it, you can eyeball that too. For surface I should use just a magnifying glass? you can eyeball this What is recommended to clean the surface? lens cloth that you would use for glasses.

Thanks a lot

some thoughts above.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
masonphillip said:
r2d2 said:

Does a 9 carry any premium over a raw card? No, not usually for modern but people still get lots of cards encased as 9s for the protective element alone (and it's cheap through the FCB sub) or should I just request minimum grade 9.5? I'd only do this if it is modern chrome/sterling/leaf etc.
How do I get the centering and what is the number I should look for? you can blow up a scan, or post a scan here and others will tell you, once you get the hang of it, you can eyeball that too. For surface I should use just a magnifying glass? you can eyeball this What is recommended to clean the surface? lens cloth that you would use for glasses.

Thanks a lot

some thoughts above.

Thank you very much. We're talking about modern cards, 2011 bowman chrome.

I'll get some scans up next week. Right now I'm not with my cards.

Members online

Latest posts