Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Angels optioned Trout to Triple-A SLC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:
I got laughed at for my Drew Stubbs comparison.

Because it's a horrible comparison.

Good input.

No, the Mickey Mantle comparisons were horrible. For the record, if Mike Trout turns out to be Drew Stubbs, he'll have a pretty good career.

Drew Stubbs at 25 most similar to Curtis Granderson. That's not another one of my "horrible" comparisons, that's baseball-reference.

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

Why, because Trout is supposed to be a better BA guy? With the way he has looked to date, I think Drew Stubbs is a perfect comparison.

The way he has looked to date? You mean, his huge sample size of 123 ABs? Give me a break. This comparison has absolutely ZERO merit outside of the fact that both have some power and both are fast. Trout strikes out far less, walks far more, and has consistently destroyed Stubbs MiLB stats (and doing it while being 4-5 years younger than Stubbs at each step of the way).

He struck out 30 times, as a 19 year old in the majors, for a 22% K/PA ratio. In the minors he struck out at a 16% K/PA ratio. Stubbs struck out at a 23% clip in the minors and a 29% in the majors (which he didn't break in to til he was 24).

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

Why, because Trout is supposed to be a better BA guy? With the way he has looked to date, I think Drew Stubbs is a perfect comparison.

The way he has looked to date? You mean, his huge sample size of 123 ABs? Give me a break. This comparison has absolutely ZERO merit outside of the fact that both have some power and both are fast. Trout strikes out far less, walks far more, and has consistently destroyed Stubbs MiLB stats (and doing it while being 4-5 years younger than Stubbs at each step of the way).

He struck out 30 times, as a 19 year old in the majors, for a 22% K/PA ratio. In the minors he struck out at a 16% K/PA ratio. Stubbs struck out at a 23% clip in the minors and a 29% in the majors (which he didn't break in to til he was 24).

Would you be willing to bet that he has a career more similar to Mickey Mantle or Drew Stubbs?

Wes

OG
Administrator
jbhofmann said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

Good input.

No, the Mickey Mantle comparisons were horrible. For the record, if Mike Trout turns out to be Drew Stubbs, he'll have a pretty good career.

Drew Stubbs at 25 most similar to Curtis Granderson. That's not another one of my "horrible" comparisons, that's baseball-reference.

It has nothing to do with whether Drew Stubbs is good or not. They are not alike at all as players. That's why it's a horrible comparison.

AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

The way Mike Trout has looked to date? TROUT IS 20! When Stubbs was 20 he was still in college. Trout is nearly ready for the big leagues. The comparison is absolutely ridiculous.

jbhofmann said:
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

Would you be willing to bet that he has a career more similar to Mickey Mantle or Drew Stubbs?

I've got a bet for you, Every year that Drew Stubbs posts a higher strikeout rate than Trout, you give me $100. Every year that Trout posts a higher rate than Stubbs, I give you $1000.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

I am not saying Trout's potential is limited to Drew Stubbs. But to date, that is who he reminds me of with a slightly better BA. To say the comparison is ridiculous is in itself ridiculous. If you can't see some of the similarities, you are blind.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Wes said:
I've got a bet for you, Every year that Drew Stubbs posts a higher strikeout rate than Trout, you give me $100. Every year that Trout posts a higher rate than Stubbs, I give you $1000.

I forgot, strikeout rates are all that matter today? They are also the only way you compare players today. How silly of me.

Coming from the same guy who thinks that Montero being a career DH won't affect his card values?

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
jbhofmann said:
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

When did I ever say he was on Mantle's level?

To play along with your imaginary question though, I'd argue that he'd fall closer to Mantle than Stubbs for career totals. BB/K ratio of nearly 1:1 (Mantle had more walks than K's), I can see Trout being nearer that than Stubbs inevitable split. 153 bags for Mantle? Trout should easily surpass that. 344 doubles? Trout, again, should surpass that. 72 triples, .298 career average, .421 OBP, 163 hits per season....all quite likely possible for Trout. Pretty sure Trout won't ever come close to Mantle's HR totals, and he may very well even hit fewer than Stubbs when all is said and done, but the majority of his numbers will end up more closely aligned with Mantle than Stubbs (career .251 hitter, .321 OBP, 21 doubles per year, etc).

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

Good input.

It has nothing to do with whether Drew Stubbs is good or not. They are not alike at all as players. That's why it's a horrible comparison.

AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

The way Mike Trout has looked to date? TROUT IS 20! When Stubbs was 20 he was still in college. Trout is nearly ready for the big leagues. The comparison is absolutely ridiculous.

jbhofmann said:
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
[quote="jbhofmann":28fkwiaa]I got laughed at for my Drew Stubbs comparison.

I've got a bet for you, Every year that Drew Stubbs posts a higher strikeout rate than Trout, you give me $100. Every year that Trout posts a higher rate than Stubbs, I give you $1000.[/quote:28fkwiaa]

YOU_MAD.jpg

LOL c'mon man Mickey Mantle?! Is strikeout rate the end all be all to the ridiculous comparison?

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
AndruwHRJones said:
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
jbhofmann said:

I am not saying Trout's potential is limited to Drew Stubbs. But to date, that is who he reminds me of with a slightly better BA. To say the comparison is ridiculous is in itself ridiculous. If you can't see some of the similarities, you are blind.

Thankfully, you aren't a decision maker for any MLB front office. Just to ask, what similarities are there that I am missing here?

CF? Check.
Fast? Check
White? Check
Everything else? Ummmm............

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
jondawg04 said:
jbhofmann said:
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
[quote="jbhofmann":hvpi11va]I got laughed at for my Drew Stubbs comparison.

To play along with your imaginary question though, I'd argue that he'd fall closer to Mantle than Stubbs for career totals. BB/K ratio of nearly 1:1 (Mantle had more walks than K's), I can see Trout being nearer that than Stubbs inevitable split. 153 bags for Mantle? Trout should easily surpass that. 344 doubles? Trout, again, should surpass that. 72 triples, .298 career average, .421 OBP, 163 hits per season....all quite likely possible for Trout. Pretty sure Trout won't ever come close to Mantle's HR totals, and he may very well even hit fewer than Stubbs when all is said and done, but the majority of his numbers will end up more closely aligned with Mantle than Stubbs (career .251 hitter, .321 OBP, 21 doubles per year, etc).[/quote:hvpi11va]

It's not imaginary:
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...11/07/is-mike-trout-the-next-mickey-mantle-/1
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ct-mike-trout-being-compared-to-mickey-mantle
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/19/sports/la-sp-0220-angels-mike-trout-20110220

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
Wes said:
[quote="jbhofmann":zay3yiqf]I got laughed at for my Drew Stubbs comparison.

Thankfully, you aren't a decision maker for any MLB front office. Just to ask, what similarities are there that I am missing here?

CF? Check.
Fast? Check
White? Check
Everything else? Ummmm............[/quote:zay3yiqf]

Don't sit on the sidelines. Give us your comparison.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
jbhofmann said:
jondawg04 said:
jbhofmann said:
jondawg04 said:
AndruwHRJones said:
[quote="Wes":13pcxral][quote="jbhofmann":13pcxral]I got laughed at for my Drew Stubbs comparison.

To play along with your imaginary question though, I'd argue that he'd fall closer to Mantle than Stubbs for career totals. BB/K ratio of nearly 1:1 (Mantle had more walks than K's), I can see Trout being nearer that than Stubbs inevitable split. 153 bags for Mantle? Trout should easily surpass that. 344 doubles? Trout, again, should surpass that. 72 triples, .298 career average, .421 OBP, 163 hits per season....all quite likely possible for Trout. Pretty sure Trout won't ever come close to Mantle's HR totals, and he may very well even hit fewer than Stubbs when all is said and done, but the majority of his numbers will end up more closely aligned with Mantle than Stubbs (career .251 hitter, .321 OBP, 21 doubles per year, etc).[/quote:13pcxral]

It's not imaginary:
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...11/07/is-mike-trout-the-next-mickey-mantle-/1
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ct-mike-trout-being-compared-to-mickey-mantle
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/19/sports/la-sp-0220-angels-mike-trout-20110220[/quote:13pcxral]

Yep, the experts are ALWAYS right. Should we dig up some Ben Grieve articles and compare?

Hell, with as much hype as we have on these boards, you would think there are 50 future HOFers just waiting for their chance to play in the bigs.

Members online

Latest posts