Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name 3 players that most don't think will make HOF...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Just in your opinion, name three CURRENT players you think will make the HOF but there is a great debate whether they will or not. So guys like Jeter, Chipper, Mariano, Halladay, Pujols, Ichiro, are out.

Disclaimer: They must have 10 years of MLB service and TRY to keep out players that have steroid implications (i.e. Manny Ramirez)

Here are my 3:

Adrian Beltre - His 5 year stint in Seattle hurts his chances but he's a multiple Gold Glove winner, multiple All-Star, multiple Silver Slugger, and could have close to 3,000 hits and 450 HR when he is done his career. Remember, he'll only be 33 this year.

Michael Young - It would've helped if the Rangers won one of the past two World Series but I feel with his consistency and his ability to play anywhere, he'll be in eventually. He has an outside shot at 3,000 hits which if he gets will make him a lock for 1st ballot. With a couple more years of consistent hitting, he's a lock for the 3rd or 4th ballot. Hard to ignore someone who has gotten 200 hits SEVEN times.

Todd Helton - "Oh he plays in Colorado!" Well I don't see many other Rockie hitters batting .323 for their CAREER. Oh, and that's with four of his past six years of "mediocre" seasons where he batted less than .310. It's hard to ignore his production over the years and his .971 career OPS. That will come down a tad but I really don't see it going below .950. Again, multiple GG, SS, and AS winner.

Let's hear your three and feel free to debate mine.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Mind if I just do two? I'm not well versed in the wide world of baseball sometimes, so I'd rather stick to two guys I know.

Jim Thome, Paul Konerko

Both have worked their butts off on the field, had productive careers, can smack the hide off a baseball, and (what should be the fist box to check on a qualification ballot) they both represented the game as well off the field as they did on. Jim Thome and Paul Konerko play the game it was meant to be played, and are shining examples of what a pro ball player in today's age should be. Good role models like them are getting harder to find as the years go by.

ukbrian2011

Oct 3, 2011
Kentucky
I actually think Beltre could get in. When his career is over and you compare his stats to other 3rd basemen. He may sneak in there.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Card Magnet said:
Mind if I just do two? I'm not well versed in the wide world of baseball sometimes, so I'd rather stick to two guys I know.

Jim Thome, Paul Konerko

Both have worked their butts off on the field, had productive careers, can smack the hide off a baseball, and (what should be the fist box to check on a qualification ballot) they both represented the game as well off the field as they did on. Jim Thome and Paul Konerko play the game it was meant to be played, and are shining examples of what a pro ball player in today's age should be. Good role models like them are getting harder to find as the years go by.

I think Thome is a lock. He played in the steroid era, sure, but he's never been linked to them. Like Bagwell, he will get in. But in Thome's case, he will get in quicker b/c he has 600 HR.

Konerko is interesting and the type of player I was looking for to debate. He's not a lock but he's close. He would need another 2 or 3 years of great production to get in and it is totally possible. Having a World Series helps. Spending over 90% of his career with one team will help as well. Good choice.

exp619

Mar 6, 2012
Here's my 3:

Jimmy Rollins - 2007 MVP, World Series Champion, 3 Gold Gloves, 1 Silver Slugger, 3 All Star selections. He's a longshot but he's arguably the best NL shortstop over the last decade.

Lance Berkman - 6 All Star selections, World Series Champion, 350+ HR, 2,000-2,500 Hits, 1,250+ RBI (by the time he retires). A decade of consistency.

David Ortiz - 7 All Star selections, 2-time World Series Champion, 5 Silver sluggers, 400+ HR, 2000+ hits, 1300+ RBI (by the time he retires). Holds MLB records for HR and RBI by DH......2nd best DH ever though, Edgar should get in first.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
exp619 said:
Here's my 3:

Jimmy Rollins - 2007 MVP, World Series Champion, 3 Gold Gloves, 1 Silver Slugger, 3 All Star selections. He's a longshot but he's arguably the best NL shortstop over the last decade.

Lance Berkman - 6 All Star selections, World Series Champion, 350+ HR, 2,000-2,500 Hits, 1,250+ RBI (by the time he retires). A decade of consistency.

David Ortiz - 7 All Star selections, 2-time World Series Champion, 5 Silver sluggers, 400+, 2000+ hits, 1300+ RBI (by the time he retires). Holds MLB records for HR and RBI by DH......2nd best DH ever though, Edgar should get in first.

Three solid choices. Hard to argue against any of those three if they put up a couple more solid years.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I agree that Thome is a lock. I love Ortiz but for the steroid issue of a few years back.....

Here are 3 names, one young un', one likely HOFer, and one on the right path....

Jon Lester- 3rd all-time winning % for pitcher w/ over 100 decisions, only 28 and on a mission this year and beyond, 2xAS, 1 WS, 1 no-hitter

Omar Vizquel- not quite Ozzie defensively, but in the conversation- piles of GG's 11, with 9 in a row at one time. Better offensively and still going. Many would say he's a lock but I'm guessing he makes it after a few times on the ballot.

Mark Teixeira- RBI machine who I think will have a huge year this year. Still in his early 30's playing in friendly park for a switch-hitter with lefty power. Very good defensively as well as evident of multiple GG's.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Jim edmonds. Torii hunter.
2 of the best defensive outfielders to play the game. Both are fan favorites played the game for a fair amount if time and both had big moments. Highlight reels for the last 10 years are dominated by plays by those 2.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
ChasHawk said:
Do people really question whether Helton and Thome will get in?

I know people question whether Helton will get in. They use the Coors Field argument and people ASSUME he took steroids b/c of his huge power # drop off.

autocut

MaineMule said:
Omar Vizquel- not quite Ozzie defensively, but in the conversation- piles of GG's 11, with 9 in a row at one time. Better offensively and still going. Many would say he's a lock but I'm guessing he makes it after a few times on the ballot.

That's my pick. 24th season in the majors and oldest active player. How many players can say they've played almost a quarter of a century.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
autocut said:
MaineMule said:

That's my pick. 24th season in the majors and oldest active player. How many players can say they've played almost a quarter of a century.

Did you forget about Jamie Moyer? :cool:

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
i agree with a couple guys on here...

Andruw Jones -- had a great decade of dominance

Andy Petitte -- broke Smoltz' post season wins record, money in regular and post season, plus he's a good ole' boy

Curt Schilling -- when it counted, you gave Schilling the ball and all you needed was one run

Someone who will get in based on stats but shouldn't is Randy Johnson, if he were a standard 6'2" pitcher there is no way he would have been the pitcher he was. Hell, by the time he released the ball he was only 50 feet from the plate.

Members online

Latest posts