Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Future HOF Managers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I was thinking about the HOF topic and wondering who everyone thought would be elected as managers into the HOF?

I would say that Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa and Bobby Cox are pretty much locks. Other than that though I can't think of any. Anyone else care to render an opinion?

BoatsN304s

Nov 3, 2011
I think Jim Leyland has a chance. Maybe Bruce Bochy since he seems he can manage for 10 more years.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Not sure what it takes for a manager to make the Hall but the first names that came to mind are Mike Scioscia and Joe Maddon, though Maddon obviously needs like 10 more years of success first.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Leyland is a lock IMO (absolute lock if can actually win one with the Tigers).
Terry Francona could be depending on how things go when he gets his next coaching job

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I could see Girardi before Maddon, but not before Francona at this stage in his career. He's off to a great start, but it's still a bit early.

hoopster3977 said:
Joe Girardi, before Maddon and Francona for sure.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
dustybobblehead.jpg

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
WaxPax said:
Gardenhire....

I half expected to see Gardy listed here, and yet I still almost threw up in my mouth when I saw it. He's nowhere near the manager Tom Kelly was. Gardy supporters always point to his division titles and dramatic comeback in '06 but fail to consider how weak the Central was for many of those years and just how poor Gardy is when the playoffs roll around. I'd trade all of those division titles for a World Series appearance, which both the White Sox and Tigers have in the last decade. Heck, if it wasn't for the Indians collapse in '07, they'd have a W.S. appearance too. As for the Girardis and Franconas, I wouldn't put them in unless they get a fist full of rings considering what they have to work with.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
dietdew said:
WaxPax said:
Gardenhire....

I half expected to see Gardy listed here, and yet I still almost threw up in my mouth when I saw it. He's nowhere near the manager Tom Kelly was. Gardy supporters always point to his division titles and dramatic comeback in '06 but fail to consider how weak the Central was for many of those years and just how poor Gardy is when the playoffs roll around. I'd trade all of those division titles for a World Series appearance, which both the White Sox and Tigers have in the last decade. Heck, if it wasn't for the Indians collapse in '07, they'd have a W.S. appearance too. As for the Girardis and Franconas, I wouldn't put them in unless they get a fist full of rings considering what they have to work with.

So what about Tom Kelly? I was going to mention him, but figured I was just being homer... I probably am, regardless.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
As GN stated, Torre, Cox and Larussa are the drop-dead locks.

Kelly and Francona with 2 WS titles would be in the conversation, though Kelly's resume looks to be complete while Francona might accomplish more.

Pinella, Leyland and Scioscia are all interesting but fall short at this time IMO.

Maddon and Girardi are open books at this time.

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
I'd love to see Kelly in the Hall. Unfortunately, I think the late 90's damaged his W/L record to the point that its going to be a really hard sell. A lot of people forget that TK had the Twins turned around in 2001, and Mauer and Morneau were already in the Twins system at that point. I think that he would have at least cashed in one title in the past 10 years,

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I don't have the first clue as to what the qualification standards tend to be but Cito Gaston has similar credentials to a lot of the names already listed (Back-toBack WS). And because voters tend to like this sort of thing, the fact that he was the first African-American to manage a team to a WS victory might help.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
braden said:
I don't have the first clue as to what the qualification standards tend to be but Cito Gaston has similar credentials to a lot of the names already listed (Back-toBack WS). And because voters tend to like this sort of thing, the fact that he was the first African-American to manage a team to a WS victory might help.

...well played, forgot about Cito....is he considered the only African-American manager to win a Series?

Looks like Ozzie Guillen may be the only Latino winning manager. Lou Piniella is of Cuban descent, so maybe fits that criteria as well.

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
How long does one need to be a quality manager to be considered a H.O.Fer? Gaston and Francona only have 12 years managing, Kelly a few more, and a guy like Gardy a few less (didn't check any others). You'd have a hard time making a case for a player with only that much service time, so I would think that a manager would have to possess a significantly longer tenure to be considered. Gaston had 2 rings but under 1,000 wins; Kelly 2 rings under .500 win pct.

Members online

Latest posts