Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Joey Votto Contract. 12/$251m

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
VottO%27s*280.jpg

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
I can't wait til all these big contracts blow up in the teams' face. Maybe that will cause them to change their ways. Who knows, good for Joey and the Reds for now.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
These crazy contracts will end within 5 years IMO as the teams get to the second half of some monstrous deals and are left paying players huge contracts with little performance in return. At that point in time contracts will shift to fewer years, possibly at more money per year, as the teams pay up front to protect themselves from an albatross that kills the franchise for half a decade.

The thing that amazes me is that teams have not made the move already since they have to realize the long term risks (coupled with extremely low interest rates, so it's not like the NPV of the deals is really much less due to the payments being so far in the future.) My only thought is that the TV deals may be changing the economics of the sport.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Waaaaay overpaid on Votto.

I like him, but I dont see how he is worth close to what Fielder got...which, IMO, was also overpaid.

BTW, MSN is reporting the deal is 10/225

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:

I like him, but I dont see how he is worth close to what Fielder got...which, IMO, was also overpaid.

Given the concerns with Fielder's health as he ages, and the fact that Votto has put up similar WARP levels over the past couple of seasons, I don't think the deal for Votto looks much worse than the Fielder deal, though the length is staggering.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Topnotchsy said:
HPC said:

Given the concerns with Fielder's health as he ages, and the fact that Votto has put up similar WARP levels over the past couple of seasons, I don't think the deal for Votto looks much worse than the Fielder deal, though the length is staggering.

I would MUCH rather give the money to Votto than Fielder. I expect the same production and better health over the life of the contract.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
This contract is a joke, who pays a guy who cannot even control his problem, he does not love baseball and will be yesterdays news in like 3 or 4 years. Too risky.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
brauny said:
This contract is a joke, who pays a guy who cannot even control his problem, he does not love baseball and will be yesterdays news in like 3 or 4 years. Too risky.

You vault further and further up this board's idiocy rankings with each passing post.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Since his rookie season in 2008, Votto has a WAR (fangraphs) of 22.9 to Fielder's 17 and is only 8 months older than Fielder. Fielder seems to be the one who was overpaid. Homeruns and RBI's aren't everything.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
braden said:
brauny said:

You vault further and further up this board's idiocy rankings with each passing post.

I won't even stoop to your level, we all have opinions, and I do not think at $20 million per year that this guy is worth it, yet, going to live up the the contract hype. Contact me in 4 years and let me know if he is worth this contract then. Crap nobody is worth over $15 million per year.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
brauny said:

wtf are you talking about!!!!!!!?????

braden

Aug 7, 2008
brauny said:
braden said:
brauny said:

I won't even stoop to your level, we all have opinions, and I do not think at $20 million per year that this guy is worth it, yet, going to live up the the contract hype. Contact me in 4 years and let me know if he is worth this contract then. Crap nobody is worth over $15 million per year.

Your conclusion that the contract won't work out for the Reds is more than reasonable. Your logic to getting there is absurd and ignorant.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
sportscardtheory said:
Since his rookie season in 2008, Votto has a WAR (fangraphs) of 22.9 to Fielder's 17 and is only 8 months older than Fielder. Fielder seems to be the one who was overpaid. Homeruns and RBI's aren't everything.

I agree that Fielder was overpaid, yes I would have paid Votto more than Fielder, but not at these prices. The teams will look back and regret this and I agree with the comment that these contracts will be done in several years, I mean there might be one here and there for a Pujols type player, but few and far between.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
braden said:
brauny said:
braden said:
brauny said:

Your conclusion that the contract won't work out for the Reds is more than reasonable. Your logic to getting there is absurd and ignorant.

My logic to getting there is he is too risky with the mental health problems he had in 2009 (I think it was that year). That is all. We all have opinions and you don't need to disrespect someone on the boards.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
koal said:
he doesnt have mental health problems. his dad died that year.

Yes he did have mental problems in 2009, I am sure Google has stories on it, he thought he was going to die, had head or headache problems, etc.

Members online

Latest posts