Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Easiest and/or cheapest Topps vintage set to collect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
So this topic has been on my mind for a few weeks now. Ever since the banner up top changed with the 1963 Topps set on it.

Which vintage Topps set is "easiest" to collect? I guess by easiest I mean it won't take you years and years to put the set together and be extremely frustrated all the time.

And which vintage Topps set is "cheapest" to collect? This one is pretty straight forward.

And since I'm sure someone is going to ask what I mean by vintage, I will open it up from the beginning of Topps (1951? 52?) to 1979. Anything after that is modern to me and probably much easier to get ahold of because of the mass printed quantity of the sets.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Any of the 70s sets are pretty easy/inexpensive, but something like 1969 would be a great vintage set...still with the big three - Mantle, Aaron, Mays and avoiding "big" rookies like Seaver (67) and Ryan (68).

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
As was already said any of the 70s sets can be done relatively cheaply. I have had good luck building most of the 60s sets fairly cheaply as well. Obviously if you do 60s the big names will run you some coin but commons can still be had between .40 and 1.00 apiece. For the 60s stars condition will be the biggest factor in price.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
If you want to truly stay vintage then most collectors and dealers end vintage about 71 or 72.

There is still tons of unopened from 73 on up, even though its expensive it is out there by the casefull. That means it is not hard to build post 72 sets in NM shape if you have the cash. They pop up all the time and commons are at every show in NM shape.

To me the easiest set to put together is the 1969 Set. It doesn't have a mega RC, though the Jackson in PSA 8 is moving up, and the high numbers set doesn't kill you. The 68 Set is easier to find in good condition but the Ryan makes it much tougher to complete in higher grade on a budget.

I am currently putting a 63 Topps set in average shape of NM or better with about 50% graded. My raw card cost is roughly $5 per NM/NM+ common and 2-3 for EXMT.

I would find a large lot Raw on Ebay and start there. Cull out the OC's and bad cards and then just start going to shows and working deals.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'm most interested in a 60's set, but as you guys have said and I figured, the 70's sets are easier and cheaper to put together. My favorite looking sets are 1952, 1953, 1955, and 1963. But those are all not cheap to do as far as I know and probably aren't that easy either. Maybe I should look into 1969.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Easiest and cheapest is obviously the late 70s. Complete sets are available plentifully and cheaply. For 'street cred' you'd want something in the series era, so 1973 at the latest. 1972 is fun, a great design, big set, and not terribly hard to find or expensive if you're OK with EX-MT or NM level cards. Once you get into NM-MT condition, the keys and high numbers can get tough. 1971 is also very popular, but the black borders make nice copies tough to find, even aside from PSA registry madness. And I always thought the 1970 set had an underrated, classic cool look, definitely different from what they put out 2 years later. And there's only one pricey rookie in it (Munson) and even that's not so bad. And 1973 has grown on me over the years. I used to think it was boring compared to 1972 and 1975, and it's definitely a different look, but there's something about the little silhouettes that I love.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I plug this a lot but I am doing the 1958 set in low grade. I find most commons for $1-$1.10. There are some big cards, but Mantles in low grade can go for $20 or so.

(and when I say low grade, I mean in the bike spokes low grade)

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
If you want a set with the stars like Mantle,Mays and Clemente but you don't want to spend a fortune or take years to complete then try the 1964 Topps Giant set.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Any of the 70s sets are pretty easy/inexpensive, but something like 1969 would be a great vintage set...still with the big three - Mantle, Aaron, Mays and avoiding "big" rookies like Seaver (67) and Ryan (68).
Agreed! And you still have a RC of a 500 HR hitter in it!

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
...thinking outside the box and not Topps.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-FLEER-COMP ... 256f1658dd

$(KGrHqZ,!pIE8V(tFEVqBPT5mZmYgg~~60_12.JPG

I've been thinking about this set- lots of BIG names that are most affordable.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I think the 1961 Fleer set is fugly. No offense to you for wanting to collect it. Everyone likes what they like, but I could never see myself collecting that set.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Also, I appreciate the help. I have my favorite looking sets but they're not the most affordable. I think I will probably look into the 1969 set once I get my finances in order. Seems like it would be fun. Ultimately I wish I could do the early 50's sets and 1963 because I like the look of those best, but I don't think I can afford them.

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
I have also been thinking of starting a pre70s set.
I have already started and finished the 78 set. I am either going to start a 71 set or and 62 or 65, out of the 60s set which of those two would be the easiest?

Members online

No members online now.