Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1989 Fleer-Billy Ripken FF Question???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Stumbled across this and have no clue whether it's real, desirable, etc..... The short title and lack of description made me wonder if this was a steal for the buyer (not me)????
[ebay:3oq4nhou] 260995628646[/ebay:3oq4nhou]

mjsch

Feb 16, 2011
Kansas
I remember reading about this in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards:

"At the height of the furor over the vulgarity shown on the initial print run of Bill Ripken's card, when genuine examples were selling for as high as $125, this fantasy card surfaced to prey on collectors. In standard size, the card is printed in black-and-white on front and back, re-producing a genuine card. On the back typography was added to make the piece look like a test card. This fraudulent product has no collectable value."

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
As Jon stated thru the website email and posted above, fake indeed.

"One of the easiest ways an unscrupulous seller rips collectors off is to simply photocopy a regular card in black and white, and then claim it is some sort of special uncolored proof. I've seen this done recently with the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken errors." - Topps-Heritage.com

“I can say, by the way, with certainty, that the black-and-
white "test" cards are totally counterfeit. Detailed examination of these
reveals they are poorly rescreened from genuine cards.
Regards,
Bob Lemke”

Here's what I know.

Fake
Glossy, photo type paper
Only the FF has surfaced. No Griffey, Johnson etc.
Photocopied. Lacking print dots.
Not made on standard sheet size. Full sheet pic ( as well as articles) on www.billripken.com
GEM (still around?) is the only idiotic company to grade them.
1st I've heard of them being "found" was them being passed around at a card show in early '89

leons10.jpg

1990BCMtest.jpg

6-1.jpg

7.jpg

fakeBWtestlot.jpg

thisnthat044.jpg

thisnthat012.jpg

REAL B/W CARD (BACK)-

moreawesomness.jpg

awesome.jpg

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
No problem.

I bought one of these early in my FF days in 2003 or around there. Unknowingly thought I stumbled on a rare card, having never seen one. Paid between $40-$70 for it. Then few days later numerous ciopies started poping up on ebay. I was like what?! Live and learn.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Thanks guys! I was going to use my eBay bucks. It was labeled as 1988 Bill Ripken. Thought I'd take a stab at it and see if I could get something strange.

Members online

Latest posts