Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vandy signee & Potential draftee Stephen Gant kills self...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I didn't see this Posted anywhere and although I'm no Baseball Draftnick I thought some might be interested in this story. Tragic.

One of the country's top baseball prospects, right-handed pitcher Stephen Gant, has died in an apparent suicide in Linden, Tenn.

Gant, a Vanderbilt signee who was projected as a potential first-round pick in the upcoming MLB Draft, was found dead Tuesday on the side of a road from what police believe was a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Jackson (Tenn.) Sun reported.

Perry County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Nick Weems said he reacted to a call about 12:30 p.m. local time regarding a man walking down a Linden street with a gun, threatening suicide.

"We found the body of Stephen Gant about 30 feet from the roadway with a gunshot wound," Weems said. "We do believe at this time that it was self-inflicted, however we will continue to investigate to look at other possibilities to make sure it was suicide."

Vanderbilt coach Tim Corbin said he was shocked by the death of the upcoming star.

"This stops you right in your tracks," Corbin said in a statement. "These are life occurrences that can't be explained. . . . There are no 'do-overs.' "

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Absolutely devastating news. From all accounts I've heard, he was a great young man, all his talents aside. Things like this are so senseless. I hope and pray his family can find comfort and peace.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
Sad news. I met him once. He was a good kid. I know his sister Laura she used to date one of my best friends. Stephen and I watch the MLB Draft together at my buddies house...

Members online

No members online now.