Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hi, im the Yankees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
bases left loaded 3 times already.
another 162 games of this crap

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
miguelcabrera said:
arnt you from pitt?
Don't you belong on this
short_bus_air.jpg

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Orioles tied for 1st with the Blue Jays and the winner of the Yankees Rays game!!

I fully expect the Orioles to win 8 of their next 10 games only to lose 70 of their next 100.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
sigh, at what point will to old be to old for rivera?
he is throwing meatballs. gonna be a long year.

70-92

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Rivera looking like a little leaguer back up right fielder brought in to pitch...

maybe throw a bit more in Spring Training, thats what its for...............

Go Yankees NOT! :lol:

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
Mariano Rivera is the most overrated pitcher of all time.
Even as a Red Sox fan I will have to disagree with this statement. No one has been as dominant a closer for as long as Rivera. Dude can flat out pitch and I hate it :lol: Hopefully this season is his last, then the Yanks are in trouble!

On the other hand, that James Shields guy is quite overrated if you ask me...

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
markakis8 said:

I'm a sox fan and that's dumbest thing I've ever heard. The last year even two years he obviously wasn't vintage Rivera but to call his career overrated is pure stupid

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
scotty21690 said:
Hopefully this season is his last, then the Yanks are in trouble!

To be totally honest with you. I'm not really worried for when Rivera decides to retire.

David Robertson has shown amazing ability. He has a fastball he dialed up to 95 tonight. He has a devastating Curveball, and throws a Rivera-esque cutter at about 93.

Robertson is 5'11. Stride Lengths are typically 70-100% of a pitchers height. Robertson strides 7' (118% of his height) What does that mean? When Robertson throws his fastball, he releases it 14" closer to home plate than the average pitcher. That's why he is so hard to hit.

Oh, and Topps, can we get some David Robertson Autographs? Every time I see him pitch I go to eBay to see if he finally has an auto card.

Wes

OG
Administrator
vwnut13 said:
scotty21690 said:

To be totally honest with you. I'm not really worried for when Rivera decides to retire.

David Robertson has shown amazing ability. He has a fastball he dialed up to 95 tonight. He has a devastating Curveball, and throws a Rivera-esque cutter at about 93.

Robertson is 5'11. Stride Lengths are typically 70-100% of a pitchers height. Robertson strides 7' (118% of his height) What does that mean? When Robertson throws his fastball, he releases it 14" closer to home plate than the average pitcher. That's why he is so hard to hit.

Oh, and Topps, can we get some David Robertson Autographs? Every time I see him pitch I go to eBay to see if he finally has an auto card.

14" closer than all pitchers or all pitchers his height?

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Wes said:
vwnut13 said:
scotty21690 said:

I believe all pitchers, on average.

Found this in an article by Verducci:

Take, for instance, Robertson, the 5-foot-11 set-up reliever for the Yankees with that "lively" fastball. Robertson does not have exceptional size or velocity, but he ranks fourth among all active pitchers with at least 100 innings in strikeout rate (11.7 per nine innings, better than every pitcher except Carlos Marmol, Jonathan Broxton and Francisco Rodriguez, all of whom are well-paid closers.)

Why is Robertson so difficult to hit? According to Trackman's measurements taken in one American League park last season, Robertson, with his exceptionally long stride and reach, released his fastball seven feet from in front of the pitching rubber -- the largest average extension Trackman measured in that park. The average MLB fastball extension was five feet, 10 inches.

Imagine if Robertson moves the pitching rubber 14 inches closer to home plate every time he pitches. That's the kind of advantage he gains over the average pitcher by releasing his fastball with so much extension. The radar gun (and Trackman) clocks Robertson's fastball at an average of 93 mph. But because Robertson shortens the distance between his release point and home plate, his "effective velocity" is 95 mph. It looks like 93 but gets on a hitter like 95 -- thus the illusion of "hop."

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Wes said:

He throws the ball 14" closer to the plate than the "Average Pitcher"
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

I'd say that it is pretty amazing that at 5'11 he can stride 7ft (The furthest in the AL) Here is a list of the longest AL strides....

David Robertson - 5'11 Height / 7'0 Stride
Sergio Santos - 6'3 / 6'10
Jered Weaver - 6'7 / 6'10
Jeff Neimann - 6'9 / 6'10
Mark Hendrickson - 6'9 / 6'10
Jamey Wright - 6'6 / 6'9
Felix Hernandez - 6'3 / 6'8
David Purcey - 6'4 / 6'8
Gavin Floyd 6'6 / 6'8
Tommy Hunter 6'3 / 6'7

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Long stride for a dude under 6 ft tall

He's definitely a great pitcher but Mo has really big shoes to fill....just sayin'

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
markakis8 said:

noaskiecards said:
Quote for stupidity....what kind of comment is that after 1 bad game?

Sink.

scotty21690 said:
Even as a Red Sox fan I will have to disagree with this statement. No one has been as dominant a closer for as long as Rivera. Dude can flat out pitch and I hate it :lol: Hopefully this season is his last, then the Yanks are in trouble!

On the other hand, that James Shields guy is quite overrated if you ask me...

Line.

homerun28aa said:
I'm a sox fan and that's dumbest thing I've ever heard. The last year even two years he obviously wasn't vintage Rivera but to call his career overrated is pure stupid

Hook.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
vwnut13 said:
Wes said:

He throws the ball 14" closer to the plate than the "Average Pitcher"
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

I'd say that it is pretty amazing that at 5'11 he can stride 7ft (The furthest in the AL) Here is a list of the longest AL strides....

David Robertson - 5'11 Height / 7'0 Stride
Sergio Santos - 6'3 / 6'10
Jered Weaver - 6'7 / 6'10
Jeff Neimann - 6'9 / 6'10
Mark Hendrickson - 6'9 / 6'10
Jamey Wright - 6'6 / 6'9
Felix Hernandez - 6'3 / 6'8
David Purcey - 6'4 / 6'8
Gavin Floyd 6'6 / 6'8
Tommy Hunter 6'3 / 6'7

Wonder what ole' Flash Gordon's stride was?
3Q2RPnqZ.jpg

Members online

Latest posts