Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB.tv question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Stupid question about MLB.TV...

I live in NY Mets/ Yankees market.

If I travel to Florida, can I watch a NY/ Chicago ( as an example) game or do I get blacked-out because I'm a NY subscriber?

Is it only based on my current IP address?

gvsu96

Aug 7, 2008
You can call me Milton
Note MLB.com live game blackouts are determined in part by IP address. MLB.com At Bat live game blackouts are determined using one or more reference points, such as GPS and software within your mobile device. The Zip Code search is offered for general reference only.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
IIRC, you can watch it as long as you are out of the blackout zone. It completely depends on location.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Last year even though I went to San Diego and I brought my laptop. I was not able to watch the Cubs games even though I was not in my market area (Chicago). It kept saying I was in the blackout area. ::facepalm::

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Pine Tar said:
Last year even though I went to San Diego and I brought my laptop. I was not able to watch the Cubs games even though I was not in my market area (Chicago). It kept saying I was in the blackout area. ::facepalm::
WGN broadcast might have been the cause.

Also, Saturdays are hell for blackouts due to the Fox national broadcast rights. And it sucks since when there's two games you're blacked out of both, even if only one is shown in your area.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
If you want to get really tricky, and are computer savvy, if you connect to a proxy IP, you can watch any games that you want.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Pine Tar said:
SydBarrett said:
If you want to get really tricky, and are computer savvy, if you connect to a proxy IP, you can watch any games that you want.
True that

I'd imagine that it would probably be fairly easy to set up if u just searched on google. I'll be trying once I get home to Boston (In Miami till July so sox games are perfect now)

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Pine Tar said:

This is what I thought would happen.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
zach said:
Pine Tar said:

This is what I thought would happen.

probably better success to watch on a mobile device where it can locate you better than if you are on the road and VPN to homebase where your IP shows you are at home. Of course the program may see your hotel's IP address in a non-VPN situation and clear you to see the local team since you would be seen as out-of-market.

Great thing is you have MLB radio to fall back on if the video is blacked out as the audio isn't blacked out.

hoos

Sep 30, 2011
Alaska
I love April!

AqE7K9-CEAATBJa.jpg

Members online

Latest posts