Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Daily Thread - 4/9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
RIP Mr. Adenhart

Hamels already giving up a couple runs to the Marlins. Man, Phillies are in TROUBLE if Ryan Howard doesn't come back and hit like he did in 2006.

Orioles v Yankees tonight :shock:

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
phillyfan0417 said:
said it on this upcoming podcast and will say it here, the phillies will not make the playoffs this season and it wouldnt shock me if they are at least nominal sellers at the deadline.

No way the Phillies are sellers at the deadline. We've lost 3 games. If that's the case then let's just keep extrapolating. The Mets will finish with the best record in baseball history, the Yankees won't win a single game all season long...except when they play boston because they won't win either, they'll just split their season series cause someone has to win. The Mariners are awesome and the Astros will win the Central. And like 50 players will bat over .400 for the year and crush hundreds of homeruns each.

Let's not get too carried away here. We haven't even made it through the rotation once yet. I agree that the Phillies bats are weak without Utley and Howard but to say we'll be selling at the deadline is crazy talk. No way Ruben lets that happen. A move will be made long before then to get a bat even if it takes emptying what little is left at the top of our minor league system.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
phillyfan0417 said:
said it on this upcoming podcast and will say it here, the phillies will not make the playoffs this season and it wouldnt shock me if they are at least nominal sellers at the deadline.

No way the Phillies are sellers at the deadline. We've lost 3 games. If that's the case then let's just keep extrapolating. The Mets will finish with the best record in baseball history, the Yankees won't win a single game all season long...except when they play boston because they won't win either, they'll just split their season series cause someone has to win. The Mariners are awesome and the Astros will win the Central. And like 50 players will bat over .400 for the year and crush hundreds of homeruns each.

Let's not get too carried away here. We haven't even made it through the rotation once yet. I agree that the Phillies bats are weak without Utley and Howard but to say we'll be selling at the deadline is crazy talk. No way Ruben lets that happen. A move will be made long before then to get a bat even if it takes emptying what little is left at the top of our minor league system.

He didn't do well today (who did though?) but I think Pierre should stay in LF so they can keep Rollins batting 3rd. Victorino should be batting 2nd. I really don't see why Thome can't play 1st 3/4 of the time. Who cares if he makes an error or two? The dude used to play 1B every day, it can't be THAT lost on him.

I would throw this lineup out every day if I were Charlie and let it sit for a month:

LF - Pierre
CF - Victorino
SS - Rollins
RF - Pence
1B - Thome
3B - Polanco/Wigginton
C - Ruiz
2B - Galvis/Wigginton/Polanco

If Galvis doesn't start hitting, they really need to either shift Polanco over and play Wiggy at 3rd or let Wiggy play 2nd (he does an adequate job at multiple positions).

Then you have Nix and Mayberry off the bench and Galvis can be this year's Wilson Valdez.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
markakis8 said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:
phillyfan0417 said:

He didn't do well today (who did though?) but I think Pierre should stay in LF so they can keep Rollins batting 3rd. Victorino should be batting 2nd. I really don't see why Thome can't play 1st 3/4 of the time. Who cares if he makes an error or two? The dude used to play 1B every day, it can't be THAT lost on him.

I would throw this lineup out every day if I were Charlie and let it sit for a month:

LF - Pierre
CF - Victorino
SS - Rollins
RF - Pence
1B - Thome
3B - Polanco/Wigginton
C - Ruiz
2B - Galvis/Wigginton/Polanco

If Galvis doesn't start hitting, they really need to either shift Polanco over and play Wiggy at 3rd or let Wiggy play 2nd (he does an adequate job at multiple positions).

Then you have Nix and Mayberry off the bench and Galvis can be this year's Wilson Valdez.

Split Mayberry and Thome at first base for the time being. Polanco to 2nd and Wigginton to 3rd. Galvis as a defensive replacement in the 9th inning or never, I don't really care. His defense is great but he just can't seem to do anything with the bat at all. I agree that a little time with that lineup should start to produce...it's ugly for the Phillies, but it's not really that ugly when you look across the majors. They just have to hang tight until Howard and Utley get back.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
ballerskrip said:
Pablso Sandoval is RAKING this year so far.

Barry Zito pitching a shuthout though 6 innings..

Barry pitching a shutout through 8 innings now. wow! At Coors Field - crazy! Melky Cabrera has been a good pickup so far for the Giants also.

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011
Homer Bailey living up to his name again. Gave up 3 HRs in the 1st.
Molina, Freese and Holiday.

Nobody in their right mind can tell me he is better than Aroldis right now.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
SIT DOWN OLD MAN!!

Really Jeter? Try to steal 3rd off of Wieters... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That wasn't even close. Matt could of walked it there.

hoos

Sep 30, 2011
Alaska
Darvish getting a good MLB welcome in the 1st:
4 pitch walk to Figgins
7 pitch SO of Ackley (swinging on a high ball)
bloop hit by Ichiro
soft liner for a hit by Smoak
2 run single by Seager

Still 1 out.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
hoos said:
Darvish getting a good MLB welcome in the 1st:
4 pitch walk to Figgins
7 pitch SO of Ackley (swinging on a high ball)
bloop hit by Ichiro
soft liner for a hit by Smoak
2 run single by Seager

Still 1 out.

He's doing great!

30+ Pitches.
Three Runs
Bases Loaded.
One Out.

Members online