Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Nick Esasky Award

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
I hereby decree the "Nick Esasky Award" to be given to a middle-of-the-road player who starts out incredibly hot and sees his card values rise to absurd levels, only to fall again soon thereafter. The award is named after Nick Esasky after his 1984 Topps cards jumped from 30 cents to $1.00 after his torrid start to the 1984 season. Nick had 13 RBIs in his first 7 games that season (his second big league season), which put him on a pace for 301 RBIs and got him a mention in Sports Illustrated.

Previous winners include:
Bo Hart in 2004, who started his career batting .489 in his first 9 games (22 for 45), including 7 multi-hit games, and 5 games with 3 hits or more.

Chris Shelton in 2006, who was hitting .471 with 9 HRs and 17 RBIs in the Tigers' first 13 games.

Emilio Bonafacio in 2009, who was batting .485 (16 for 33) with 4 stolen bases after 7 games. His inside the park HR on opening day would be the only HR he would hit the whole year.

Any nominations for this season?

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Bryan LaHair, although I think he'll be more like Nick Esasky circa 1989 or Brian Daubach than Bo Hart.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
If I ever needed background information on a 1984 card that was going to make the Hot List, you would be my first stop, David.

Members online

Latest posts