Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on the DH

When will the DH be added in the NL?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
With the game (very) slowly moving towards a salary cap, the expanded playoffs, and the Astros moving to the AL next year, it would seem to be the case that the game is progressing towards having equal opportunities for all teams in a number of senses. That being said, one of the biggest inequalities is that of the designated hitter. The DH hasn't been talked about much lately, but it wouldn't surprise me if it became a hot topic in the next few years.

If something is to be done, there would seem to be two possible solutions: add the DH in the NL, or remove the DH from the NL. Personally, I believe the DH will be instigated in the NL:
1. Offense fills seats
2. MLBPA gains increased $$
3. If you are going to take away the DH in the AL, you couldn't do it until at least the 2022 season. With Pujols and Fielder on 10 and 9 year contracts, respectively, Angels and Tigers management could claim they envisioned these players being DHs over the last several years of their deals.

Any other thoughts on the future of the DH in baseball?

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
NL will fight it tooth and nail. Don't know if it will ever happen. It's good for baseball to have the DH. Gives you more options when players are injured, and can help keep pitchers focused on pitching

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
I detest the DH. Bunch of freakin' fat loads that should have already been retired, but able to pad their HR numbers even though they can barely run to first base.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Vlad, Matsui and Damon would have a job if the NL had a DH.

I do not think the NL will ever have a DH though

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
DH is so dumb. 9 play the field, 9 hit. Baseball isn't just hitting, its fielding too. Baseball isn't supposed to be easy, especially being a pitcher. Thats why they get paid the big bucks.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I am glad the DH is in the American League and not in the NL. This difference offers very interesting storylines in the World Series (David Ortiz).

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Hopefully soon the N.L will join the 21st century and implement the DH. Game is more exciting with the DH. Pitchers are paid to pitch, not hit. Im not one to romanticize or be a purist, the game is constantly changing. That would be a good change.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
elmalo said:
Hopefully soon the N.L will join the 21st century and implement the DH. Game is more exciting with the DH. Pitchers are paid to pitch, not hit. Im not one to romanticize or be a purist, the game is constantly changing. That would be a good change.
+1,000,000

I hate the bottom of the order K. A pitcher than can hit is rare, you endanger him while he's batting/running.

But it defines the leagues. Leave it as it is.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I hate to say it, but with every-day interleague play starting next season, the DH will most likely be in both leagues within ten years. Ugh.

I like an idea that I read somewhere (in the comments under Verducci's article on this?) that instead of having a DH in AL parks and a batting pitcher in NL parks during interleague play, it should reverse so that home fans can see the other league's style of play. Interesting notion.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its fitting that half the leagues have it because half the people like it and half the people don't. The way the DH is in the MLB is exactly right, its an excellent compromise.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
A lot of very interesting (and different) views here. I'm pretty surprised that more than half think it will never happen. Personally I like having the DH in the AL and not in the NL, but I'm just not convinced it will stay that way for too long.

Just one bump.

Members online

Latest posts