Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector sues UD for redemptions and wins!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
Good for that guy (if he ever gets paid) but I don't see this as much of a step seeing as how the guy won the case based on a technicality.

And do/did UD's redemptions not have expiration dates on them? Because if the judge likened them to lottery tickets based on
… and said on lottery tickets, at least you know before you buy what the end-date of that game is.
the judge obviously did not understand fully how the system works. And if that was his logic, UD should have won the case sans the technicality.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Sjrmn91 said:
Good for that guy (if he ever gets paid) but I don't see this as much of a step seeing as how the guy won the case based on a technicality.

And do/did UD's redemptions not have expiration dates on them? Because if the judge likened them to lottery tickets based on
… and said on lottery tickets, at least you know before you buy what the end-date of that game is.
the judge obviously did not understand fully how the system works. And if that was his logic, UD should have won the case sans the technicality.
I think he meant that with the lottery the expiration date is printed on the packing.This is not the case with sports cards and it should be.Card companies will be forced to take notice of this.Now that one guy stepped up and won it opens the doors for a flood of suits to follow.This is huge for collectors.I thank the gentleman who stepped up and challenged the redemption standards as we currently know them.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
THANKS UPPER DECK!

But seriously, does anyone really think the guy didn't know the redemptions had expired?!

Also because UD wasn't represented/the guy won by default the case isn't exactly meaningful precedent.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Someone posted about this a week ago or so. We had a thread that was a few pages i believe, maybe someone will find it and link it.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
G $MONEY$ said:
Someone posted about this a week ago or so. We had a thread that was a few pages i believe, maybe someone will find it and link it.
Oops.I must have missed it.Delete this if needs be.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
hofmichael said:
G $MONEY$ said:
Oops.I must have missed it.Delete this if needs be.

Oh no, no need to delete i was just letting you know in case you wanted to find and read the old thread. This is an interesting case and im sure there will be a lot of new points brought up as well as people may have missed the original thread, like yourself.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
not debating the legal issue at hand but hopefully this starts a trend AWAY from redemption's. If a company or player can't commit to having something in hand my a certain date.. it should just get scratched off the list and not paid for. I'm sure it's not that easy but no collector wants to buy a 200 box of product and receive a cardboard filler saying he's supposed to receive "said card" when in fact.. he may not receive "said card".

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
michaelstepper said:
not debating the legal issue at hand but hopefully this starts a trend AWAY from redemption's. If a company or player can't commit to having something in hand my a certain date.. it should just get scratched off the list and not paid for. I'm sure it's not that easy but no collector wants to buy a 200 box of product and receive a cardboard filler saying he's supposed to receive "said card" when in fact.. he may not receive "said card".
I agree.At very least list the redemption cards and expiration dates.Prime example is every time a box of 2001 Bowman Chrome gets listed the seller says you could pull a Pujols.There is no chance at a Pujols because it was a redemption.If it was listed there would be no debate or questions on wether you could pull the card.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
hofmichael said:
michaelstepper said:
I agree.At very least list the redemption cards and expiration dates.Prime example is every time a box of 2001 Bowman Chrome gets listed the seller says you could pull a Pujols.There is no chance at a Pujols because it was a redemption.If it was listed there would be no debate or questions on wether you could pull the card.

But, but....technically you ARE getting a Pujols card - a Pujols REDEMPTION card... ::facepalm::

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I asked all three card companies why redemption info is not printed on the box anywhere. Ill leave their responses below:

Kevin

Members online

Latest posts