Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FCB experts - I need your help - oddballs, team sets, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Hey all, I have had the joy of helping my wife's uncle go through about 200,000 or so cards that he is looking to move. Most of them have not been looked at in 25 years. It has been a blast to be honest. Found some nice card such as near mint Joe Montana Rc, Near mint Julius Irving RC, 85 topps tiffany Mark Mcgwire Rc, (9) 1989 Upper Deck Sets, etc. I am only about 30% of the way through.

Basically i have been pulling out things that should be sold seperately, and he is then going to sell the rest as a lot to a pawn shop that is interested in them.

I have found some stuff that I know little about, and wanted some advice. I hopefully will have a TON more stuff like this to show in the next month or so...
Anything in these that are worth grading? Anything rare? Values?

I know nothing about these first two

1984gardnerbrewers.jpg

1985gardnerbrewers.jpg

How about these things?

gunsmoke1.jpg

gunsmoke2.jpg

These look to be a 40-50 card set? It appears to be an entire set

kellogs3dset.jpg

15 card set?
cansecoset.jpg

33 card 1981 Drake set?
drakeset.jpg

1985 Sports Designs Prodcuts, West Set Series 2
sportsdesignset.jpg

I don't know what the hell these are, have about 40 of them, green and red ones, might be a set
scorecards.jpg

kellogs still sealed
kellogsbrock.jpg

kellogsmays.jpg

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
the pic of the things you don't know what they are.. those are Topps scratchoffs. I can also tell you the Canseco set is all 15 different and very common.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I don't think anything you have there is particularly scarce or valuable, unfortunately.

The Gardners Brewers sets were put out by Topps in 1984 and 1985, in unlimited quantities (I have seen vending boxes of these cards for sale online at times).

The Kellogg's set is the 1981 set, very very common, I've found most of the singles I need from this set for 10¢. The other Kellogg's cards are from 1991, and are just as common.

Same with the 1981 Drake's set; the sets that came on the boxes are fairly hard to find, depending on the products the cards were on, but those were from 1986-88.

When I was younger (late 80s, early 90's), I remember seeing dealer ads selling those West sets for $5. They look nice but are inexpensive.

That Topps Scratchoff set is the best thing there, from a player collector standpoint. Many of the individual player cards came with a few different backs, making it a little hard to find each variation for all the players that had them.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
DeliciousBacon said:
I don't think anything you have there is particularly scarce or valuable, unfortunately.

The Gardners Brewers sets were put out by Topps in 1984 and 1985, in unlimited quantities (I have seen vending boxes of these cards for sale online at times).

The Kellogg's set is the 1981 set, very very common, I've found most of the singles I need from this set for 10¢. The other Kellogg's cards are from 1991, and are just as common.

Same with the 1981 Drake's set; the sets that came on the boxes are fairly hard to find, depending on the products the cards were on, but those were from 1986-88.

When I was younger (late 80s, early 90's), I remember seeing dealer ads selling those West sets for $5. They look nice but are inexpensive.

That Topps Scratchoff set is the best thing there, from a player collector standpoint. Many of the individual player cards came with a few different backs, making it a little hard to find each variation for all the players that had them.

Thank you for all of the insight! I appreciate it. Bummer on the fact that none of them are scarce, etc. I have had a heck of time going through alot of this stuff. Has been really fun.

COuldn't believe that i found a Julius Irving RC and Joe Montana Rc WITHOUT and Sleeves, that are still in really nice condition.

skrip

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
I love going through that kind of stuff, it's not worth much and I really don't care about the value. Those bring back memories when I was a kid and how much simpler life was for an 8 year old kid who loved cards.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
DeliciousBacon said:

The Gardners sets were indeed produced by Topps but they were inserted in gardners bread products in the Milwaukee area. I remember putting a whole set together of both years just by looking through the bread wrappers and seeing who I needed. The cards were just put in with the loaves of bread with no wrapper so they are succeptable to staining. I dont doubt that quantities were available but the majority of the cards were distributed in bread products. I think you could probably get 5-10 bucks a set depending on condition.

The western cards are just that...From 1958 Topps called TV Westerns. Those will do fairly well if they are in decent shape. By fairly well I am not saying 20 bucks each but I remember selling the bunch I had for 2-3 bucks a card. throw them on Ebay as a lot with a starting price of 9.99 and they should sell.

Kelloggs sets might get you 5-10 bucks if they are not cracked and are complete sets on a good day. I would not expect much from these unless they are in exceptional shape and would grade out as a PSA 10.

The Canseco Star cards...autograph TTM material and thats about it.

The Topps Scratch off are from 1981 if memory serves me correct. There are set registry collectors who look for high grade cards but if yours are not high grade, sadly they will not sell for much if anything.

Sports Design I have zero knowledge of. I cannot imagine there is much demand for them.