Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hitting a baseball "... is a superhuman feat that is clearly impossible."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Science-of-the-Swing.jpg

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Its a feat for sure. I guess the league I'm in we've got guys pitching in the mid 80's+. Even at that speed though, you almost have to start your swing once you see the ball leaving the pitchers hand. Can't imagine what a 97mph fastball looks like, thats why I didn't make the pros.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Its a feat for sure. I guess the league I'm in we've got guys pitching in the mid 80's+. Even at that speed though, you almost have to start your swing once you see the ball leaving the pitchers hand. Can't imagine what a 97mph fastball looks like, thats why I didn't make the pros.
I've never faced 97, but I've caught 97, its an experience. When I was playing legion ball one of the teams we faced had 4 pitchers that got drafted. 2 of them threw mid 90's, flat and 2 of them threw upper 80's low 90's with movement. The guys with movement were much harder to hit. The one that threw the slowest actually had the most successful career of them all, he played about 7 years, many in AAA.

Last edited:

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
At the 1994 All Star Fanfest in Pittsburgh, Upper Deck had batting cages setup with simulated MLB pitchers. I hit a foul ball off of the simulated Greg Maddux and eventually struck out.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I was traveling last weekend and stopped at a batting cage. I haven't been to one in probably 8+ years. I started feeling pretty confident when I was hammering the ball at medium and fast speeds. I was completely humbled when I stepped into the very fast cage. While it seemed pretty damn fast to me I'm sure it's nothing like a professional fastball at any level.

Members online

Latest posts