Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another great series at Wrigley - Chipper's Farewell tour! Go Braves!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChipperFanInChicago

Jan 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
(pictures will be uploaded later!)
As some of you may remember, when the Braves came to Chicago last year I went to every game as i do every year. Last year was the first year i knew about the team bus that parks right outside Wrigley. Last year, I was able to obtain a good amount of autographs as well as Chipper's on a game used batting glove i had. When the schedule came out this year, i promptly bought tickets knowing it was Chipper's last year. I set out with the same goal in mind: get a few more autographs and someway get Chipper to sign a few more pieces of memorabilia i had since this was his farewell tour.

Day 1: Monday - Cubs Win 5-1
This day was probably the least productive. Before the game i was able to get Uggla and McCann to sign a few mini helmets my Dad's friend gave me from his countless trips to Baskin' Robbins. Roger McDowell and Chad Durbin threw me a baseball each during BP. After the game, i went out to the bus and was only successfully able to get Tommy Hanson. I was shocked he signed because from past experience he doesn't sign much and appeared to have an attitude. Seeing as he lost a well pitched game, i thought for sure he wouldn't - but he did! Chipper said he "had to go" and didn't sign at all. Not to bad of a day, but not the best yet!

Day 2: Tuesday - Braves Win 3-1
When i got to the game this day, i went straight to my seat to watch some BP. During BP McCann tossed me a ball and Eric Hinske and Michael Bourn gave a few autographs out and luckily i was in the vicinity. About 10-15 minutes before the game started, Chipper popped up from the dugout to sign a few autographs. Despite having my seats a few rows away, the usher insisted on not letting me go over to try and get Chipper to sign something. After arguing with him for a few minutes, he let me by, but it was too late. Opportunity #1 was spoiled by the usher... I wasn't to thrilled with the usher for the rest of the game. Personally, i understand if people are sitting there before the game or if i had seats in the upper upper deck that i shouldn't be let down. But i paid just as much if not more for my seats and i couldn't go over a few rows to try and get an autograph? No one was even sitting there at that point. O well, rules are rules i guess - just my little rant for the day. After seeing a great outing by R. Delgado, i went out to the bus for round 2 of post-game autographs. I was able to get a few of the less popular players on the team and a coach - Jack Wilson, Livan Hernandez, and Terry Pendelton. Freddie, Heyward, Kimbrel, Hudson, and of course, Chipper wouldn't sign yet again. Pretty decent day, but the best is yet to come.

Day 3: Wednesday - Cubs Win 1-0
Knowing that today was Chipper's last day in Chicago as a player, i had a feeling from the moment i woke up that he would HAVE to sign after the game. A little back story. Every year i go to one of the games with my girlfriend of 3 and half years because either A. i just enjoy going with her or B. she bought me tickets for one of the games. For the past two years prior to this year, every time she was with me, i got an autograph from Chipper. The first time was at the "Cell" when they played the White Sox and that was ALL HER - prob. due to the fact she was a girl. The next game was last year with the batting glove that i had to hustle for. Anyway, since it was a day game following a night game i was dragging getting to the stadium and figured Chip would sit this one out. However, he ended up in the starting lineup and the Cubs presented him with a "standings" flag that fly above the Wrigley scoreboard as a farewell gift. Before the game, Tyler Pastornicky signed a few and again i was in the vicinity. Roger McDowell (for the 2nd time this week) tossed a ball but this time to my girlfriend - She was happy, although i had to catch it for her. During the stellar pitchers dual, Freddie Freeman tossed a ball to me coming off the field - 5 balls of the series. My girlfriend has grown to love Freddie and his sense of humor this year so that ball made her day. Wanting to get a prime spot for the post-game signings, her and I left in the middle of the 8th. We were one of the first people there! It was a first! Usually i am fighting for a quality spot in the middle of the pack. I just knew now that we had a perfect spot if Chipper signed. Well the game ended and yet again another Braves downer...but Kris Medlen came out and signed a few for the fans. He actually made me hold his "soft" drink that he made him self for the bus ride to the airport. He told me "don't spill that, I NEED it!" Kris was a pretty laid back guy who had some fun with his signings. McCann also stopped and i got another autograph from him on one of the balls i had caught during the series. Now came the big one...Chip was coming down the hallway in the stadium and the security guys promptly moved into position. After he acknowledged he would sign, the scene became that of a boy band red carpet appearance. He was dressed to the nines and looked like a piece of major league history. People began to push from all directions and pinned me, along with my girlfriend and 4 others, up against the railing that divided us from Chip. The security had to yell, but Chipper continued to sign. My girlfriend was one of the first and Chip signed a magazine i had from 1996 with him on the cover (pictures to follow). I was next to her holding out my Boston braves jersey with his number on the back. After signing about 25-30 autographs Chipper signed the jersey as well as a few more baseballs. Getting caught up in the moment, i yelled "I love you Chipper!" in a very manly voice to ensure myself as well as him that i was not a creep haha, along with a few other crazed fans. After about 35 autographs, he turned for the bus. Although not everyone got something signed, we applauded him for a good 2 mins and cheered his departure. I was so overwhelmed with the moment, it was hard to realize it was the last time i might seem him play ball in person. As i type this, the scene just is being replayed over and over again in my mind.

Now, i know some people think Chipper has a smug attitude and is a bit arrogant. Out of all the series Ive gone too, i've always seen him sign for the fans. He is a man of few words, but he makes sure he gives out a fair amount. I like to look at his demeanor as confident instead of cocky. He made his mistakes young in his career with his fling with the hooter's waitress that produced his son Matt, but has since carried himself properly throughout MLB. I hate to see a talent like him leave because he truly means a lot to the world of baseball. For a player like him to be successful as he was during an era clouded by steroids says a lot. Not to mention the fact that he started and finished his career with one team. I don't want to go on because i could go on for hours, but i hope most of you agree. I just thought i would share this story to show that players truly do care about their fans and are willing to sign and make people happy. I admire players who are willing to go the extra mile to make a kid smile. I'll post pictures as soon as i can. I would love to hear thoughts about Chipper's historic career or past experiences. Thanks for the read and sorry for the lengthy descriptions! I figured a group of guys on here would appreciate a nice story with all the negative stuff we hear now a days about players.

UPDATE: Pictures - sorry some of the autographs are hard to see. Took with my phone...the jersey is not that faded in person and ill list the players that are on the bigger mini helmet. Best piece by far is the beckett magazine from 1996.
Mini Helmets - McCann on left, Uggla on right
2012-05-09_21-05-02_829.jpg

Mini Helmet - Autos are everywhere: Ross, Prado, Glavine, Pastornicky, McCann, Hanson, Jack Wilson, Livan, Hinske, Pendelton, Venters, Bourn, Uggla, Constanza
2012-05-09_21-07-30_706.jpg
2012-05-09_21-07-55_429.jpg
2012-05-09_21-08-03_788.jpg

Chipper Jones 1996 Beckett Magazine - the auto is a little sloppy, but i dont care because its getting framed with other stuff i have and i know its legitimate.
chipperbeckett.jpg

Boston Braves Jersey
2012-05-09_21-09-01_954.jpg

The five balls i caught/received during the series. The one is autographed by McCann and Medlen. The other by Michael Bourn.
2012-05-09_21-06-39_835.jpg

Last edited:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Sounds like the series really couldn't have gone much better for you (other than the frisky Cubs pitching staff shutting down ATL). Congrats on all the items and the memories.