Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

THE GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME TEAM - by position - Designated Hitter

Who is the greatest overall designated hitter of all-time? (please select your top-two)

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
This is probably where Paul Molitor should have ended up. He's my "other".

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I definitely feel like this is a skimpy list (not attacking you) just saying that I guess there haven't been many great pure DHs. Not even sure I can make a vote here

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I definitely feel like this is a skimpy list (not attacking you) just saying that I guess there haven't been many great pure DHs. Not even sure I can make a vote here

This very much is a skimpy list. I only added players who played more than half their games-played at DH. Please just vote so we can reach 50+ votes. lol I know it's not the best part of the overall team. It's more just an added bonus position for ***** and giggles.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
2002000769.jpg

It's a light-bat.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

Yea wow, I'm surprised as well.... Feel like you should just open it up to any all-time great hitter and slot him in on the all-time great team and only let him it? It's an idea, kind of like the all-star game.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
i voted other, no way I would ever consider even putting any of these names on an all time team, it kind of makes the list look like a joke imo if any of those guys are on it and some of the all time greats are not, i would slot in bonds,aaron,musial, pujols and so on at dh since they didnt win their position

Last edited:

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I checked out Thome, not even close to half his games were at DH. I didn't remember him being in the field that much! That's my other, since it doesn't count anyway..........

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Harold Baines is so underrated.
.289 avg, 2844 hits, 384 hr, 1628 rbi, 488 doubles

If he would have gotten 156 more hits, he may be a Hall of Famer now. It's shocking he never got more than 6% of the vote.

This is who Baseball Reference says are the players Baines is most similar to. Four are Hall of Famers.

1. Tony Perez (943)
  2. Al Kaline (883)
  3. Dave Parker (871)
  4. Billy Williams (863)
  5. Andre Dawson (856)

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Although I belive both Baines and e. martinez are underrated, I voted Big Papi just to keep this team thing going. Thinking about it, I think Frank Thomas could be considered a legit DH. I voted Papi just for kicks because in no way would I ever put him in the same conversation as anyone else on the team

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
i voted other, no way I would ever consider even putting any of these names on an all time team, it kind of makes the list look like a joke imo if any of those guys are on it and some of the all time greats are not, i would slot in bonds,aaron,musial, pujols and so on at dh since they didnt win their position

This

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The poll isn't "who could have been the best DH of all-time" and using the "50% or more games at a position" rule I have used on all the other polls, these are the best possible DH's.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008

+1. The DH sucks in every way.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
The poll isn't "who could have been the best DH of all-time" and using the "50% or more games at a position" rule I have used on all the other polls, these are the best possible DH's.

thats fine, im just saying the list will look like a joke with any of those names on it because if your really putting a GREATEST OF ALL TIME team together no one would ever consider slotting any of those guys in at dh.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
thats fine, im just saying the list will look like a joke with any of those names on it because if your really putting a GREATEST OF ALL TIME team together no one would ever consider slotting any of those guys in at dh.

This.

Plus I don't see why you couldn't slot any great all-time hitter? Isn't that like the all-star game where anyone can DH? As said above and elsewhere, I feel like DH for this purpose is almost like a "wild card" slot for whoever missed 1st in their particular position. This is just IMO.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

I am just looking at it differently. I am looking for players who actually played the positions for a higher percentage of their careers. Of course there are FAR better candidates to be DH, but in the name of consistency, I only want players who actually played the "position". It's only an extra slot anyway. I knew people would hate it, but I'm just trying to be consistent... probably to a fault.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I voted for both Baines and Edgar. Baines, is to me, the definition of a DH and is the measure of greatness for all other DH's to be weighed. Yet Edgar obviously put up a incredible career as well besting many of Baines' accomplishment. All in all, looking at all the pluses and minuses between the 2, I think one could toss a coin and do no wrong. For this reason I went with Baines, the original, for my #1.

Members online