Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

As great as Jeter is playing, does he have any shot at Rose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Playing out of his mind. After this year he'll be less than 1000 hits away. BUT he'll be 38 this year. I'd love to see it as a Yankee and Jeter fan but I don't think he has a shot. What does everyone think?

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
If he stays healthy and loses his ego yeah. If he wants to break it, he'll have to be an Omar Vizquel type eventually. Doesn't mean he will have to leave the Yankees, but no way can he stay a starter all the way through the end of career if he is to break the record.

exp619

Mar 6, 2012
I'm going to say no for an odd reason. I remember viewing a interview not too long ago that he wanted to have children after his playing career. His contract is up next season, with an option for 2014, which I'm sure will be picked up.

I highly doubt he'll be offered anything beyond a 2-year deal when he's 40 and there's no way he'll sign with another team or be a DH, so there will be a knocked up super model in his near future.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Only if he can play outfield and DH. Insane if he could do it as a SS. Makes you appreciate Honus that much more.

I think he passes Aaron (3771) for 3rd at best. And he'd need 4 seasons to do that, at least.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I'm not a Pete Rose fan but Jeter NEVER hustled like Pete so just getting a stat only tells half the facts

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
modify = hustled as much . Pete was a baseball player - big and ugly- Jeter well not so . Check that picture is there a good looking woman nearby ??

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
I'm not a Pete Rose fan but Jeter NEVER hustled like Pete so just getting a stat only tells half the facts

I get what you're saying, but I think you probably meant Pete Rose came out and played HARD every game. Jeter, not as hard......Yes???

Rose was a bull in every game.

noaskiecards

Sep 19, 2008
he needs about 5-7 very solid additional years....Is it possible, yes? Would I bet on it if I was given 10 to 1 odds...no

Jeter may very well play another 5-7 years, but I doubt he'll be batting .300+ with 175+ hits...Stranger things have happen though

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Isn't he signed through like 2026? If so then, yeah. 50 year old Jeter will still be their starting SS earning 20million.

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
If he stays healthy and loses his ego yeah. If he wants to break it, he'll have to be an Omar Vizquel type eventually. Doesn't mean he will have to leave the Yankees, but no way can he stay a starter all the way through the end of career if he is to break the record.

What ego? He is not talkative, may blow off the media, but he is definitely not an egotistical man.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Here's my questions regarding this. Some on this board and in this thread try to take away from Pete's record because of the number of seasons, ABs, and PAs it took for him to get it.

Crunching the numbers, Jeter is going to have to also play 23-24 seasons, will have 13,000-14,000 ABs, and 15,000+ PAs. That is if he can continue his current 162 game averages. Will people use the same arguments that Jeter is/was a compiler and held on too long? Or will it be "different" for whatever reason?

I'm very curious to hear answers on that. Some people try to take away from some players accomplishments, but will overlook the same things if someone else can get there.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Here's my questions regarding this. Some on this board and in this thread try to take away from Pete's record because of the number of seasons, ABs, and PAs it took for him to get it.

Crunching the numbers, Jeter is going to have to also play 23-24 seasons, will have 13,000-14,000 ABs, and 15,000+ PAs. That is if he can continue his current 162 game averages. Will people use the same arguments that Jeter is/was a compiler and held on too long? Or will it be "different" for whatever reason?

I'm very curious to hear answers on that. Some people try to take away from some players accomplishments, but will overlook the same things if someone else can get there.

You will not here any of this from me. I believe long productive career(s) such as Rose and now Jeter are just as impressive as many 'honerable' milestones in the game of baseball.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
By the end of this, Jeter's 18th season, he will likely be in the neighborhood of Eddie Murray at #12 with 3255 (114 away). Took Murray and everyone ahead of Jeter 21+ seasons to reach their numbers. Closest to Jeter in terms of hits in 18 seasons was Boggs with 3010. The guy's rate is crazy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts