Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

? about ebays newer hoops to jump through for 20% discount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
How are you guys/gals dealing with this?
Has anyone called ebay to discuss this?
If so, what did they say?

I just don't see how, with cards, we can offer a 14 days no questions asked return policy. If I sell a harper $1000 card and it's rcvd in perfect condition, but he gets hurt and his career is over a week later, the card can be returned. That's pretty brutal. People will be buying hot prospects/callups and returning them left and right, if they don't start out hot and price drops. I could understand, if what we sold had a solid retail value, like a new book or game, as an example. But with what we move, the price is so volatile. Are we supposed to just hold the money in paypal for 2 weeks and pray the player makes it?

(quick history)
I ran into a health problem about 2 years ago. It was causing me a bunch of stress. My doctors and counsel, told me I needed a hobby. I had been out of cards for around 6-7 years. I quit when I realized it was taking me from spending enough time with my kids. But, I asked my wife and we thought it would be a good idea. So for the last year or more, I've just done this because I love cards, sports, and the hobby and to keep busy. I have always dreamed of owning my own store and was very close to opening one up about a year ago. The person I was going to rent space from, ended up just going out of business and gave up his lease. We were going to split it and try to help him and myself out, but he finally just gave up. He was in retail gaming, kind of like a Gamestop. So that dream got put on hold for a bit longer. I am still dealing with the health problem, but I have learned to better handle the stress. So I don't really need this any more, I am just doing it, as a lead into someday opening a store and because I love cards and following prospects.
(history over)

Even though I sold over 115g on ebay in 2011, remember this is a hobby for me, I'm not sure the profit is worth all the work. And now losing the 20%, will make it even worse. And I'm sure between ebay/paypal/gov-taxes, the trend of shrinking profit will continue. With all this, I'm thinking of just calling it quits in regards to selling and just collect with my son(6yrs) and just have fun until I'm closer to opening a store.

Is anyone else having these same thoughts and struggles?
Has anyone come up with any good answers or outcomes?

Thanks for any info.
Feel free to answer here or PM, if you wish to keep what you say private.

Greg

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
It's total ******** and isn't worth the increased search standing visibility. No chance I offer the return policy or the 1 day handling time for that matter. I do cards as a hobby and not a full-time job and while I always try and ship within a day of payment sometimes it takes me 2-3. Therefore, I go with 3 day handling time and beat expectations.

I have top seller status and am a power seller with a rating of 2526 (100%) with DSR's of 4.9, 5.0, 4.9 and 4.9, respectively. None of that is going to mean a damn thing as far as ebay is concerned come June. Another reason to seek an alternative.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Whether you have a 14 day return policy or not the buyer can still return the card. All they would have to do is say the card has minor damage or anything else and it is an easy return.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
For non sports items I sell (mainly on another id), I will jump through the hoops + try to retain/get TRS (sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't). On this id, there's no way I'm offering a 14 day return policy b/c the likely loss due to increased returns b/c "woops, that $1k card today is now $100 b/c the guy has TJ/got suspended/stinks/etc." far outweighs the likely perks of being a TRS. As it is, card buyers already play enough games (try to return if the card doesn't get a 9.5, higher # of "never got item" claims, etc.). I'll also keep focusing on selling on Amazon more and make cards less of a priority (which I've been doing for the last 1-2 years).

BTW, are you in So Cal? If so, I hope you do open a shop. I've not been to a decent 1 here (OC) in years as their box/case prices are wack. I hope your health problem gets better- + keep spending more time w/your kid b/c at the end of the day, that matters far more than cardboard.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Guess im the minority.

I offer 30 day money back guarantee....had maybe a handful of cards that were ever returned.

I ship my cards within 1 day of payment. Alot of times I send a netflix movie back Sunday night around 11PM.... if someone pays for an auction right away after it ends on Sunday... I pack it up... leave feedback and ship it with the Netflix movie. Other wise I pack the stuff up and ship it the next day before work. Kinda funny... I have little to no issues with my buyers.

bja613

Jan 6, 2009
Norman, OK
Like others have said, I didn't think it was that big of a deal because a buyer will get to return an item regardless of what your return policy is. The new policy I'm more concerned about is the partial refund eBay is implementing. Even though it says its for "repairs", I'm sure some buyers will figure out a way to use it for card sales.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
guys with paypals rules all of you will give a 14 refund one way or another. get onboard and reap any benefit scraps that they give us. One thing I will not do is offer a partial refund. I will not get into that. Full refunds only

Members online