Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Latest Custom - Dual Aaron & Mays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Here's the latest custom, a dual of arguably two of the best players ever to grace the diamond.

mays-aaron-fb.png

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
The custom only plays second fiddle to Aaron's stats, even compared to Mays' below his are on another level!

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I love the picture on the back of the card. As for the whole card, if anyone else did it I would say it was awesome. I expect great stuff out of you, Mike. I'd be happy to own it but still a B- card.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for the comments guys. With the large signatures, it required a fairly large window, and I always try to make the windows the same size in dual cuts.

@A_Pharis...my customs are too young to date at this point.
@Therion...I'll take the high expectations as a compliment.
@matfanofold...it's just crazy looking at those two stat lines.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Looking over these again. The genius in this design, is again, the cutting. The use of the picture to create one rounded edge was brilliant.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I like how you didn't cut off Aaron's name with the curve of the window. Little things like that makes me not appreciate the recent UD Cut auto travesties even more.

Have you ever tried to create or buy material to have a refractor type of finish?

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Your showoff threads makes me want to come up with some more concepts for you to work on. :D

The customs you have done for me are the only cards I have displayed in the mancave.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
@morgoth - The cost to do a 1/1 on a chrome-type stock would be astronomical, so no, I haven't.
@Musial Collector - A few classic "sets" for sure.
@jbhofmann - It gets tiresome doing "regular" windows, so I try to work in whatever I can to make then unique to the card, and artwork if possible.
@slette - Much appreciated.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
The custom only plays second fiddle to Aaron's stats, even compared to Mays' below his are on another level!

The difference in numbers, has more to do with Mays missing 2 years of big numbers and playing in huge, power killing parks(polo grounds and candlestick), than it does with either one of them being on a different level.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Nice design. Die cut windows are the bomb. The picture of them together on back really ties the card together.

Okay, I'll give you my really picky editorial and design suggestions. Don't get me wrong - the card is great - just looking at it with my copy editor/art director hat on:

1) Not a fan of "Baseball's Greatest" being in yellow. Seems to clash with other orange and blue, which work well together.
2) In Aaron's text on back, I would add a "the" to the last sentence, so that it reads "He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1982." Keeps it consistent with the Mays text.
3) In May's text on back, in last sentence you don't need the first comma. Should just read "A 20-time All-Star and a 2-time NL MVP, Mays..."
4) I noticed this on one of your other designs, and for some reason it seems odd to me that these are marked "Limited Edition 1/1." To me, a Limited Edition means a small print run - but more than 1. I'd like it better if it said "Masterpiece Edition 1/1" because these are true one-of-a-kind collectibles.

Members online

Latest posts