Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Received the following message from an eBayer this weekend:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
In regard to a card I have listed with what I believe to be a very accurate title and description, I received the following message:

" Hello, GREAT Card but you are Misrepresenting it as a ROOKIE CARD Which it is NOT. ALL Donruss Elite Rookie Cards SAY,"ROOKIE", right on the Front of the Card; ALL OF THEM. That is Why They are Marked,"ROOKIE".

Sellers think that they will receive more money if it is a RC card and they end up calling EVERY Card they List a Rookie Card!
As I said, this is a Great Card and does Not need to be Misrepresented or Falsely Hyped. PLEASE, List your Cards Truthfully and Honestly. Thank you for your time."

I won't post the link in order to avoid spamming, but the title of my listing is "
Nolan Arenado 2009 Donruss Elite Auto #5/5 GOLD Status RC Rockies"

Not sure what to think here. More than anything
I was kinda surprised someone took time out of their day to type out the above message. I won't be changing anything; and I know there are lots of different definitions of RCs and different people have different opinions, but if a first-year card can't be considered a Rookie Card, I don't know what can. Thoughts?

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
Ignore him and move on.
You did nothing wrong.
It never ceases to amaze me how anal card collectors can be.
David

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Got a similar message a year or two ago. It was also an elite card listed. I just ignored and blocked.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I wouldn't sweat it. At least you didn't get a keyword spamming notice like I did the other day. Which I know someone had to be bored to report me for something like that. I guess he's getting all "RC" labeling technical with you. Which he might be alluding to the whole.. prospect card until they have one MLB AB rule. Which might be the case but he's splitting hairs; nobody else really cares. They know what they are buying.

I agree, too bad people have nothing better to do with their time. Must be one of those guys spending their days protesting NATO here in Chicago instead of doing something worth a damn with their time.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I think most of you are giving that buyer a LOT of credit. There is nothing in that rant that resembles a point. I had to read it three times, and I'm still not sure what he's getting at. Some people should be kept off the internet for everyone else's good.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I agree with the ebayer. It's not a rookie card so you shouldn't have "RC" in the title. Just use "Rookie" if you have the space for it. I don't really care if sellers do it but I don't describe a prospect card to be something that it is not.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I agree with the ebayer. It's not a rookie card so you shouldn't have "RC" in the title. Just use "Rookie" if you have the space for it. I don't really care if sellers do it but I don't describe a prospect card to be something that it is not.

Well, it's not an MLB licensed card, so it can't technically or leagally be one thing or the other.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
My opinion is that in the history of baseball cards, isn't a Rookie Card defined as the player's FIRST (or first year) card? Lately the definition has become much more clouded thanks to multiple years of 'prospect' cards, but this particular one is Arenado's first card of any kind, period. Again, I don't really care what any buyer says, he's obviously nitpicking at something that doesn't really concern him and I'm not going to change the listing.

But the more I think about it, the more I completely disagree with what the guy is even trying to say, that this shouldn't be allowed to have "RC" in the title.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
I hate people who feel the need to message sellers about "RC" and "rookie" designation details. Somebody spending $ and looking for Arenado elite AU's already know what designation the card has.

inb4 uniquebaseballcards has his period all over this thread.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I hate people who feel the need to message sellers about "RC" and "rookie" designation details. Somebody spending $ and looking for Arenado elite AU's already know what designation the card has.

inb4 uniquebaseballcards has his period all over this thread.

Quote. For. Truth.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008

There are far worse examples of folks stretching the truth on what a rookie card is.
Until there is some federal law stating what is and what isn't a rookie card I can't see how anyone but the seller has the final say.
It is his card after all.
David

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
I say kindly ask for his email address and send a virus. That'll keep his dumb ass off the internet for a while. Or just block amd ignore ;) whatever suits you best.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I saw an "88 Topps Rob Deer card listed last week for $40 and described as his "rookie card" in the title (his was in '85 well before such things were confusing). I would like to forward the link to this ebay user if you could kindly pass along his info

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
In regard to a card I have listed with what I believe to be a very accurate title and description, I received the following message:

" Hello, GREAT Card but you are Misrepresenting it as a ROOKIE CARD Which it is NOT. ALL Donruss Elite Rookie Cards SAY,"ROOKIE", right on the Front of the Card; ALL OF THEM. That is Why They are Marked,"ROOKIE".

Sellers think that they will receive more money if it is a RC card and they end up calling EVERY Card they List a Rookie Card!
As I said, this is a Great Card and does Not need to be Misrepresented or Falsely Hyped. PLEASE, List your Cards Truthfully and Honestly. Thank you for your time."

I won't post the link in order to avoid spamming, but the title of my listing is "
Nolan Arenado 2009 Donruss Elite Auto #5/5 GOLD Status RC Rockies"

Not sure what to think here. More than anything
I was kinda surprised someone took time out of their day to type out the above message. I won't be changing anything; and I know there are lots of different definitions of RCs and different people have different opinions, but if a first-year card can't be considered a Rookie Card, I don't know what can. Thoughts?

I would reply back, and told him, I never false hype anything. Hence your user name on here (ALL THE HYPE) :lol:

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Beckett says this is not an RC, blah blah blah. I think the same guy msg'd me. Was his name Dean or Dino? What a retard, I just blocked him.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

I think everyone could agree with this statement.

But the definition of a RC has been morphing/changing even further, now many sellers will say that a RC is a player's card that sells for the most money... This new "definition" only reinforces the fact that these guys don't care/never cared about what a RC is at all, they only care about the money.

These sellers are making/have made RCs a joke - why should anyone listen to anything they say?

The only constant, unbiased definition coincides with the player being on a MLB roster when the card is released.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I think everyone could agree with this statement.

But the definition of a RC has been morphing/changing even further, now many sellers will say that a RC is a player's card that sells for the most money... This new "definition" only reinforces the fact that these guys don't care/never cared about what a RC is at all, they only care about the money.

These sellers are making/have made RCs a joke - why should anyone listen to anything they say?

The only constant, unbiased definition coincides with the player being on a MLB roster when the card is released.

That's not true at ALL. The only "constant" about rookie cards is that they must be released in pack form, be MLB licensed and be a part of the base set, ie no parallels, inserts or the like. It's been this way since 1933 and has never changed. What HAS changed is people's PERCEPTION of the rookie card.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It sounds like someone who still lives by the Beckett RC definition, which I think became irrelevant when they came up with the "XRC" term about 20 years ago. While some people with more liberal definitions still might call a #/5 parallel something other than a RC, and others might have trouble with the nebulous licensing of Elite sets, probably the majority of collectors with a reasonable understanding of the subject would still call it an RC. Oh well, can't please everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts