Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "Sleeper" Card Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Every year there are a few cards that out of nowhere, percentage-wise, rise in value a great deal from the previous year. Cards that no one is talking about suddenly become highly sought after due primarily to a player's on-field performance. One example from last year would be the 2006 SP Authentic Alexei Ramirez Future Watch card. It was a $.99 card before the season started and reached $40.00+ late in the season.

Now none of us have a crystal ball (that works anyway), and the rise doesn't have to be as significant as Alexei's, so let's have fun with this...which "sleeper" cards do you think could rise more than, say 200% this year from its current eBay value? It has to be a card (or cards) that nobody is talking about here. Since there is quite a bit of prospect discussion on these boards every day, that eliminates most prospect cards right off the bat.

Besides that however, there are no wrong answers here...if you feel it could rise more than 200% this year then go ahead and list it. :) I apologize in advance if anyone is currently trying to "hoard" any of these cards and I'm "letting the cat out of the bag". I doubt that's happening though. I'll start with two cards:

2003 UD Prospect Premieres Autograph - Jeff Allison (currently traveling on the "Hamilton" comeback trail)
2007 Topps Rookies 1952 Edition - John Lannan (top of Nat's rotation and his only rookie card)

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
This is kind of different, but here is an example of a set rather than a single card...

Leaf Limited Autographs from 2008 Prime Cuts IV

There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, nobody knows that...which leaves their prices only slightly above Elite base autos which can have as much as 12 times higher of a print run than that.

And for a single card example, I'll go with Bobby Parnell's 2008 Chrome FY card from 2008 Bowman. He throws triple digits, is in a big-market organization with the Mets, he is expected to compete for the 5th rotation spot in ST this year, and the chrome had been his only card until 2009 Topps came out with him as part of that base set.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
This is kind of different, but here is an example of a set rather than a single card...

Leaf Limited Autographs from 2008 Prime Cuts IV

There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, nobody knows that...which leaves their prices only slightly above Elite base autos which can have as much as 12 times higher of a print run than that.

And for a single card example, I'll go with Bobby Parnell's 2008 Chrome FY card from 2008 Bowman. He throws triple digits, is in a big-market organization with the Mets, he is expected to compete for the 5th rotation spot in ST this year, and the chrome had been his only card until 2009 Topps came out with him as part of that base set.

Nice! Here's another one:

2006 SP Authentic Future Watch - Koji Uehara

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
JoshHamilton said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, nobody knows that

But somehow you know that?

Ok I misspoke. Let me try again:

There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, MOST people are unaware of how rare they are.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Brandon Morrow. Went from the Ms bullpen to a starter late in the 08 season, poised for a big year and name recognition in 2009. Chrome is a buck.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
EricInCT said:
Brandon Morrow. Went from the Ms bullpen to a starter late in the 08 season, poised for a big year and name recognition in 2009. Chrome is a buck.

Hope your right might be gettign 10 chrome rookies and 2 refractoes of his

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Bornagaincollector said:
I'm going with Kelly Shoppach,if he can cut down on the k's.He could be a 30 hr guy.

Good one...I was thinking of Shoppach too. His 2003 Bowman's Best auto in particular.

Here's two more for me:

2004 Bowman's Best auto - Luke Hughes
1995 Bowman's Best - Andruw Jones (sell for around 8 bucks right now)

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
99TT Crawford Auto

When that set released, I grabbed one and my autograph was Crawford. I was disappointed because I was really hoping for Corey Patterson or Sean Burroughs. If not them, then Pat Burrell. :lol:

Sometimes the card Gods know what they're doing.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Dellin Betances Yankees - Will be the next Joba. His cards aren't cheap, but can easily double if he makes the team.

Chris Dickerson Reds - By default will be starting in left field for the reds this season. Only played in 31 games last year but had a dozen extra base hits and surprising power. Chrome is less than a buck and has only one main product, 06 chrome.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
1995 Bowman's Best Bob Abreu--I just have a feeling he will get off to a hot start.
2005 Nelson Cruz cards esp. the auto version

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":dvf2qla8]
There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, nobody knows that

There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, MOST people are unaware of how rare they are.[/quote:dvf2qla8]

I don't think you understood the nature of my question. How do you personally know there are only 99 Leaf Limited cards produced of each player? There are only three possible answers-

1. You're basing your assumption on the initial Prime Cuts sell sheet which stated the LL cards would be serially numbered to 99. Of course, anyone who has ever seen any sell sheets knows damn well they're almost never accurate since many changes are made to a product in the time between sending out a sell sheet and packing out the final product. The fact that these aren't serially numbered should be enough to tip you off to that

2. You personally know someone who works at Donruss who can confirm the actual print run is 99. I highly doubt that.

3. The most likely scenario, you didn't mention anything about suspected LL print runs until you stocked up on the stupid cards in your sig, and now you're trying to artificially inflate their value by making up figures about their perceived scarcity.

Until you know for a fact what the print runs are, how about you be quiet? Spreading lies in the hobby for your own personal benefit is pathetic

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
JoshHamilton said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":1pzhei8e]

There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, MOST people are unaware of how rare they are.

I don't think you understood the nature of my question. How do you personally know there are only 99 Leaf Limited cards produced of each player? There are only three possible answers-

1. You're basing your assumption on the initial Prime Cuts sell sheet which stated the LL cards would be serially numbered to 99. Of course, anyone who has ever seen any sell sheets knows damn well they're almost never accurate since many changes are made to a product in the time between sending out a sell sheet and packing out the final product. The fact that these aren't serially numbered should be enough to tip you off to that

2. You personally know someone who works at Donruss who can confirm the actual print run is 99. I highly doubt that.

3. The most likely scenario, you didn't mention anything about suspected LL print runs until you stocked up on the stupid cards in your sig, and now you're trying to artificially inflate their value by making up figures about their perceived scarcity.

Until you know for a fact what the print runs are, how about you be quiet? Spreading lies in the hobby for your own personal benefit is pathetic[/quote:1pzhei8e]

While I agree with you 100%, you could have said it without sounding so harsh.

No need to call names over something like that. If he believes the sell sheet, then that's fine, since it's the only documentation we have at this point about the print run.

Right now, I am also going on the /99 print run for the Leaf Limited and Contenders parallels.

Latest posts