Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nice surprise find - Mickey Mantle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
I had a nice surprise the other day. I've been going thru some cards I got in a recent collection I purchased and getting them scanned and added to my Photobucket. I had remembered seeing these Mickey Mantle reprints when I went thru the stuff the first time but I just quickly went by them cause I've seen these many times before. Well, when I started putting these on the scanner I noticed something different on the back of the first one, it had this gold stamped part on the back of the card. I looked at the rest of the regular Topps Mantles and each and every one had this Factory Sealed gold stamping on the back and were completely encased in plastic. These are the one per case hits out of the 1996 Topps, real tough hits back then. So instead of me looking at a $25 Mantle RC reprint, the 52 Topps Reprint case card has a multiplier of 6X - so it's $150. I've actually got six of these case hit cards with the 52 reprint being the best. Now that's cool!!!

mantle_52case.jpg
mantle_52case_back.jpg

mantle_55case.jpg
mantle_55case_back.jpg

mantle_66case.jpg
mantle_66case_back.jpg

mantle_67case.jpg
mantle_67case_back.jpg

mantle_68case.jpg
mantle_68case_back.jpg

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Listing it properly will be key. There are a ton of completeds for these (non-rare), but none make reference to the case-hit rarity. Hopefully, collectors are aware enough to maximize the sale.

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
Someone went through a lot of trouble to get those all in one place.

I can only guess the guy that sold me the collection was trying to put this set together at one time. There were no other regular non-stamped/sealed versions, only some of the Finest versions of the reprints. If there would have been some of the regular Topps reprints then I'd say these were picked up by mistake but I didn't find any others than the Finest versions in the collection.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Hmm, I've been seeing references to these Case cards in Beckett for 15 years or so, but this is the first time I've ever seen one. Neat find.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
They really weren't "hits" per se, as they were inserted as case toppers in Series 2 hobby cases; They are known as hermetically sealed versions of the reprints. They were also inserted into the hobby factory sets. Each set contained either a Mantle or Mays hermetically sealed reprint card. That's why the factory sets book for $175.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I have a Roberto Clemente 1962 Topps Reprint that is sealed like that. Got it (in a sealed tin) for $1. The Clementes don't sell for a lot, but for $1 each I could have made a few dollars.

Members online

No members online now.