Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

wild catch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
That was on this morning on SportsCenter. It is a really sweet play but that fence is like 2 feet high lol. If the wall was higher I would be more impressed, but it just reminds me of someone laying out for a ball in the outfield, the fence doesn't really seem to be that much of an obstacle.

A_Pharis

That was on this morning on SportsCenter. It is a really sweet play but that fence is like 2 feet high lol. If the wall was higher I would be more impressed, but it just reminds me of someone laying out for a ball in the outfield, the fence doesn't really seem to be that much of an obstacle.

It's higher that 2 feet... can you clear a 2+ foo fence while watching a baseball flying toward you with enough awareness to not only clear the fence but also catch the ball?
Not much of an obstacle? Come on, man.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
One of the most difficult plays in baseball is the catch made diving away from home plate. The guy was on a dead sprint and then dove over the fence, still going backwards to get to the ball. That was an unbelievable catch.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yeah, I think this should be ruled a HR, shouldn't it?
A batter is out when --
(a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder;
Rule 6.05(a) Comment: A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch, and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout or in any other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as described in Rule 7.04(c) Comment.

must have one or both feet on or over the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout)

His feet were still over the playing field.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008

must have one or both feet on or over the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout)

His feet were still over the playing field.
When he made the actual catch, yes, but...

Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead.

He clearly fell into an "out-play-area," did he not? He stood on his feet in the bullpen after landing.

Great catch, really. But seems a HR, or at least a dead ball by those rules.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
When he made the actual catch, yes, but...

Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead.

He clearly fell into an "out-play-area," did he not? He stood on his feet in the bullpen after landing.

Great catch, really. But seems a HR, or at least a dead ball by those rules.
It's a catch. That just means the ball is dead once the fielder falls out of play. Here is rule 7.04(c) referenced in the rule:

(c) A fielder, after catching a fly ball, falls into a bench or stand, or falls across ropes into a crowd when spectators are on the field;
Rule 7.04(c) Comment: If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should fall into a stand or among spectators or into the dugout or any other out-of-play area while in possession of the ball after making a legal catch, or fall while in the dugout after making a legal catch, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder fell into, or in, such out-of-play area.

Basically, it's a legal catch, the ball is dead, and the runners advance one base.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Id say dead ball if in foul territory. But that was over the fence so it should have been ruled a HR.

It was a great catch.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, and that was the third out, correct? So his feet were (just barely, but legitimately) above the playing field when ball hit glove. If the 1st or 2nd out, baserunners advance one base. Being the 3rd out, inning over.

I love learning something new.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
But the ball wasnt in foul territory. He didnt fall into a bench, dugout or stands. He fell over the fence in fair territory. Runners advance all the way home followed closely by the hitter.... it was a Home Run.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Last edited:

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
i was a shortstop in High School and in College but during legion I played outfield and our home field had like a 4 foot fence and i robbed like 4-5 homeruns that season but none as sick as this one, I did fall over once and It was still ruled an out but i was in play when i jumped and cought it and then flipped over after the catch. hurt like hell too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts