Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jason Heyward: Underachiver or Lack Of Effort

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
What do you think, was he not as good as the scouting reports or that he doesn't have the #want to be great.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
He was overrated especially in the card world IMO, but still has what it takes to be very good. Yesterday made him look like an absolute joke when Harper took 2nd on him...clearly a lack of effort there, but I don't want to jump to conclusions based on one play. Has anyone heard what his work ethic is like outside of games?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Still too early to judge him. He still has the tools to be great.

Ive heard that before....oh yea... Cameron Maybin. We hear that way too often when a super hyped prospect never really performs at the major league level. BJ Upton was that way for a few seasons. When you are a man amongst boys that doesnt mean you are going to be the next Pujols or Griffey. Just means you need tougher competition. When you find it.... you show exactly how good you really are.

noaskiecards

Sep 19, 2008
Heyward...How about Freddie Freeman?

In his last 6 games, 2/25 with 8 K/0 BB
He had such a nice start too, might want to just get a pair of glasses

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
he has the same 95 % chance of failure as every other person
who has ever played the game. you either can get that extra 5 hits per 100 at bats
or you cant. he probably cant.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
If lazy is your answer then you dont watch braves games. Heyward is all hustle.

Didn't look that yesterday and I'm a Braves fans. I'm sorry but I don't see him adjusting to that inside pitch, it's killed him since the Giants exploited him in the playoffs in 2010.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
He is 22 years old with a career OPS+ of 114 and well above average defense. Now think what most of us were doing when we were 22. Just because he hasn't been Ted Williams from the minute he was 20 years old, doesn't mean he won't fulfill his potential. It just comes down to whether he can continue to make adjustments. He frustrates the hell out of me sometimes and then I remind myself of these things. And effort and work ethic have nothing to do with it. The guy works his tail off.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
i think JHey is going to be a solid player, but stating now that he will have a Winfield or Parker type career is too far off for me to comprehend as anything but wishful thinking. Aside from a good RC year in 2010 where he showed glimpses of what he could be, he took a major step backwards in 2011 and has yet to make any real improvement this year. Taking his ops+ at face value, it is clear that now in his 3'rd professional season at the MLB level, he is not producing as he was expected. His power numbers (read: home runs) are well below what they were speculated to be and his bat at the plate all together is still struggling for consistancy. Defensively he is good but I think he still needs to become more consistant there as well with regards to hustle.

Bottom line, anyone without blinders will see that he has yet to achieve the level of play at the MLB level most thought he would. Sure he is young and has plenty of time to adapt and overcome, but lets not pretend he is not in his 3'rd season and is still showing no signs of what he 'should' become. At this point, I would be glad to see him become a .275/25/80 hitter who can steal a base every now and then. I believe this to be just another classic case of scouting reports, potential, and milb performance(s) not equating to what will happen at the MLB level.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
another awful play in the outfield tonight, glad they are booing him. He is looking like at best a Cliff Floyd and that's his very best case now.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
lol come on Chris thats a real big statement. He has not shown a whole lot since coming up. He has a few years in this league already and he doesnt scream star at all.
Jason heyward should have a dave parker / winfield type of career. I still think hes a star.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts