Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Peel before grading? Never graded a card and need advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hey guys... I've never graded a card but might entertain the idea. If grading a card which has protector on it, do you peel before you send? Do they peel before they grade? Any advice here would be much appreciated!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Great question, sorry I'm referring to all '90s inserts. Like how would Beckett grade it or do they peel it?

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
they wont peel the card. I believe that cards get grades for peeled and unpeeled. peeling the card has a high chance of damaging the card so I would send it in as is.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
They will grade it however you send it. So if you leave the peel on, make sure that it is not damaged or flipping up on the corners as that will affect the grade as it is now considered part of the card. I have graded both with and without the peels on and have received gems with both. I personally would always prefer to have mine graded with the peel as I feel that is the truest form of the card. But if you feel it will affect the grade, by all means, peel it. As for damaging the card by peeling it, I guess that can happen, but if you are careful, you shouldn't have any issues.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't see how a peeled card could ever get a perfect or close to perfect grade. If the card is missing the peel, I consider the card incomplete as its no longer in the condition it left the manufacturer/factory.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Peels often have surface damage and will decrease the grade. In these cases I peel.......unless they are 1996 Select Certified, these might be the toughest to peel and you run the risk of damaging the card.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I don't see how a peeled card could ever get a perfect or close to perfect grade. If the card is missing the peel, I consider the card incomplete as its no longer in the condition it left the manufacturer/factory.

I consider the peel an extention of the packaging and give no stock to a unpeeled card over a peeled one.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
They will grade it however you send it. So if you leave the peel on, make sure that it is not damaged or flipping up on the corners as that will affect the grade as it is now considered part of the card. I have graded both with and without the peels on and have received gems with both. I personally would always prefer to have mine graded with the peel as I feel that is the truest form of the card. But if you feel it will affect the grade, by all means, peel it. As for damaging the card by peeling it, I guess that can happen, but if you are careful, you shouldn't have any issues.

+1

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Peels often have surface damage and will decrease the grade. In these cases I peel.......unless they are 1996 Select Certified, these might be the toughest to peel and you run the risk of damaging the card.

This was one I was thinking about. You can hardly tell there is a peel but I feel like you have to peel these if you're going to do it. Otherwise it looks like your card has micro size air bubbles all over the front.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
This was one I was thinking about. You can hardly tell there is a peel but I feel like you have to peel these if you're going to do it. Otherwise it looks like your card has micro size air bubbles all over the front.

The bubbles are typical for the 1996s. The peel is stuck on really well......best of luck whatever you decide.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
Be aware that the peels are very sensitive to surface scratches due to the type of soft plastic. That can seriously kill your surface grade if you send it in unpeeled.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
What a gamble.... I literally have one graded card and it was one I bought lol... I posted them both over on the '90s insert thread but I want to get the other graded to match but I think I have to peel it. I might just say screw it but the card is in amazing condition but feel like I'd have to peel it if I wanted to grade it.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008

I want to edit my post to say I have never peeled a 1996, so according to what others are saying, you could damage the card. 97's and above I have peeled and never had an issue. Best of luck whatever you decide.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I want to edit my post to say I have never peeled a 1996, so according to what others are saying, you could damage the card. 97's and above I have peeled and never had an issue. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Okay cool, thanks a lot. I am leaning toward grading it after peeling it. Just feel like the only other option is to just keep it raw because I can see micro air pockets on the peel and I feel like that will just lower the grade anyways. I will decide what to do this weekend when I have more time to really take a close look and see what I'm working with.

Another question, the card seems some what warped.. feel like a lot of cards like this are or they have a slight curve to them. Does this effect the grade?!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Another question, the card seems some what warped.. feel like a lot of cards like this are or they have a slight curve to them. Does this effect the grade?!

No, it is typical with 1996 (among others) and as long as there are no creases you will be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts