Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps--Great concept but lacking in execution--Oquendo ATFF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
So in the 2012 Archives product Topps included 9 Jose Oquendo autos--1 for every position that he played.

3 of the 9 seem to be SSP--Pitcher 6 have been listed, SS 5 have been listed, and 2B 6 have been listed; others are appox 2x move available.

While great concept the images Topps selected are less than informative to the position the card refers.
-Pitcher card shows him playing 1B
-1B card shows him playing middle IF
-3B card shows him playing middle IF
-C card shows him playing middle IF

I get it that he played the majority of his career up the middle but the 1B above is just poor. There had to be images of him playing these other position.....I mean come on it was a side show of sorts when he played elsewhere. At least for the OF positions they selected images of Jose hitting, running, or on base. For those interested, the back of the cards are all identical with the exception of the position designation.

scan0002-1.jpg

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
That would be a fun rainbow to put together. Oquendo is a tough autograph to get also. I have been within 5 feet of him asking Mr.Oquendo will you sign for me please and get the silent treatment like I dont exist. He signs at Winter Warm Up now though. Im surprised Topps doesnt contact the Cardinals museum Brian Finch said that they have a huge collection of unpublished Cardinals photos (I would love to look at them if I ever get the chance)

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Lame on the position pictures...but AWESOME for completing the set George :grin: I do agree that it is certainly a great idea on the variations, but they could easily have done justice with showing the correct position for each card.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I thought the Oquendo "rainbow" was a fantastic idea by Topps. Congrats on putting it together.

I think I'll go after a player-made rainbow - Sid Bream inscribed every one of his with a bunch of different Bible verses. I think I counted at least 10 different, but I didn't look too hard.

Members online

Latest posts