Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Change your mind? You can retract your offer."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
What's up with this on eBay?

So is eBay going to start letting people retract their offers and bids because they "changed their mind"

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
You have always been able to retract your offer before it has been accepted or declined. Are you referring just to bids? Where did you see this?

I know that you can retract your best offer, but it used to say this...

"You can retract your Best Offer under certain circumstances only."

Even when you click the new "Change your mind?" wording it still brings up this page.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBestOfferShow

I don't see "Changed my mind" as a reason to cancel.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I rather have people change their minds before the item ends, at least then they cant screw with my feedback, ratings, or charge backs. Its just easier for me to just not care if they change their minds.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Maybe some buyers are sick on having to wait the full 48 to be declined when the seller knows pretty much right away if they are taking it. Some buyers like to know right away if you accept or decline, and dont like being used as a pawn in order to drum up better offers.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Maybe some buyers are sick on having to wait the full 48 to be declined when the seller knows pretty much right away if they are taking it. Some buyers like to know right away if you accept or decline, and dont like being used as a pawn in order to drum up better offers.

Why should a seller not hold out for a better offer. eBay gives the seller 48 hours to decide if they will take your offer. So your logic says I as the seller I should say yes or no right now, to satisfy you, and not wait to see if something better comes along?

It is the seller's item and they can wait to see if your offer is the best they can get for their item. Also not all of the sellers including myself check my eBay offers every minute of the day. I don't use eBay mobile either. So when I have time I check and see if someone has offered.

I do agree with you most sellers have a threshold for which they will sell something but it's their prerogative to wait and see if there is a higher offer. And if you can't wait for the time allowed then don't offer in the first place I guess. :p

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008

Pretty much my thoughts right there. I would love to have an option, as a buyer, to be able to select how long the offer will stand when I submit it. Being able to select between the current 48 hours and 24 hours would be nice.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx

Totally agree with this. Some sellers don't bother to decline offers and let them expire instead. In some cases they drag the offerer to the end of the time period just to see if a better offer comes in. Silly that it's one sided. I say that even though I use far more Best offers on my auctions as a seller than I bother with as a buyer.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Pretty much my thoughts right there. I would love to have an option, as a buyer, to be able to select how long the offer will stand when I submit it. Being able to select between the current 48 hours and 24 hours would be nice.

That sounds like a practical rule, so Ebay will never implement it.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Why should a seller not hold out for a better offer. eBay gives the seller 48 hours to decide if they will take your offer. So your logic says I as the seller I should say yes or no right now, to satisfy you, and not wait to see if something better comes along?

It is the seller's item and they can wait to see if your offer is the best they can get for their item. Also not all of the sellers including myself check my eBay offers every minute of the day. I don't use eBay mobile either. So when I have time I check and see if someone has offered.

I do agree with you most sellers have a threshold for which they will sell something but it's their prerogative to wait and see if there is a higher offer. And if you can't wait for the time allowed then don't offer in the first place I guess. :p

Yeah well if you see two guys selling the same card for the same price with a BO option it can be a problem. You only do one at a time because some sellers take their sweet time checking. So now, if the initial offer is not accepted, and the other guy has already sold his...you've wasted time and maybe could have already gotten the card at the price you offered but now it's too late. As a buyer...don't toy with me. If you want to accept my offer fine. If not move on.

I've actually purchased the same card twice because I didn't feel like taking my chances with one seller. Me having to do that sucks but oh well. I did it knowing I might be buying the same card twice but you never want something to slip away.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Don't see any reason a buyer has to be held hostage by an offer he made while waiting for the buyer to decide. The 48 hour time table is pretty arbitrary (as pointed out by a couple of others here) and people have a finite amount of funds and many options in their collecting. As a seller I'm never pleased when an offer is retracted, but I don't see a major issue with this.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
My favorite is when a buyer makes an offer that you accept within the first hour and then they don't pay and ask you to relist. Guess they didn't like the price they offered.

Some people are idiots.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
I recently received the "I'm sorry but my son was recently admitted into the hospital and I won't be able to pay for this item" email from a winning bidder.
I would rather have had him cancel his bid before the auction ended.
Face it, buyers have ALL the power/
David

Members online

Latest posts