Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Setbuilders, what is the most recent set you are working on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've been looking at recent releases and it seems like the companies have not done a great job of creating sets that are really designed for set builders other than the one's that have been around for years (like base Topps, Heritage etc.) Obviously set builders are major players in the market and are often the driving force behind the most popular releases. When Panini came out this year I thought that maybe the Silver Slugger and Gold Glove auto sets would be popular for set builders but neither seems to be, and the Notable Nicknames set was designed in a way to accommodate set since the print runs overall are quite low including cut auto's /2 etc.

I'm not a major set builder, so I wanted to ask; other than sets like Heritage and base Topps, what is the most recent release that you are looking (or have already) put together? Is there anything out there that caters to the set-building market?

alwayson22

Dec 6, 2010
San Jose, CA
I'm currently putting together the 2011 Topps Tier One base set (/799). I like the card design and thick stock, the mix of current and past stars, and the affordability of of the set.

Simple8

May 21, 2012
Atlanta
I enjoy building sets. Doing the 2012 Bowman Baseball base set. Should be simple enough but I've opened 5 hobby boxes and still don't have the set complete.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I'm about a dozen minis from putting the 2012 GQ mini set to bed. Next up will be the 2011 GQ mini set, and then probably this year's Archives master set, after prices drop a bit. I might even do last year's Lineage master set, too.

I really wish UD Masterpieces could still be made. A 300 card set of that would be awesome.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
It's more of a "player collector set", but I'm working on the 1996-1997 Topps Finest Mantle Collection set. I need around 15-16 cards to complete it.

It isn't very recent, but it is my main set at the moment.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Is anyone trying to put together any recent inserts sets? It seems like the days when sets whether game-used, auto or other were put together have largely passed...

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I'm kicking around the idea of doing the 2011 GQ mini relic set. Ruth and Gehrig are the two spendy ones on the list, but the rest shouldn't be too bad.

I considered doing the GQ mini relic/auto /25 set, but then realized with the money that would cost me, we couldn't afford my headstone after my wife killed me.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'm slowly working on building base sets of 2012 Topps archives and 21012 bowman. I do football and basketball stuff too so it's slow going.

gt5717b

Jun 6, 2012
Alpharetta, GA
I've got a good chunk of the GQ 2012 and 2012 Archives base sets completed. I'm more interested in completing the GQ base set for the time being. I'm missing about 30 SPs and 70 base cards. I'm tempted to get another hobby box for the autos but I know I'll end up with lots of duplicates. I've picked up several cards I need via ebay "pick your cards to complete you set" listings.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
I'm trying to finish up the 2011 Topps Diamond set from Series 1 and 2. Haven't decided if I want to get the legends or do the update set yet. I still need 38 more, with 19 of them incoming so technically I only have 19 left. Also usually complete the Bowman and Bowman Chrome Prospect sets but those I still need quite a bit for this year.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I've been working on a few sets for a couple of years...

I need 5 cards for the 2001 Fleer Game Time Famers Lumber set

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i44/rebelpawn/2001%20Fleer%20Game%20Time%20Famers%20Lumber/

I need one card for the 2002 Fleer Premium Grip It Rip It Plus set

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i44/rebelpawn/2001%20Fleer%20Premium%20Grip%20It%20Rip%20It%20Plus/

And I just started a 2003 Leaf Number Off My Back set last week....

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i44/rebelpawn/2003 Leaf Number Off My Back/

I really highly doubt I'll ever finish my Famers Lumber set but hopefully I'll finish the other two some day...

sharktitanfan

Aug 31, 2008
I'm kicking around the idea of doing the 2011 GQ mini relic set. Ruth and Gehrig are the two spendy ones on the list, but the rest shouldn't be too bad.

I considered doing the GQ mini relic/auto /25 set, but then realized with the money that would cost me, we couldn't afford my headstone after my wife killed me.

:D

gt5717b

Jun 6, 2012
Alpharetta, GA
I'm also missing 2 cards from the Series 2 1992 Pinnacle set. They're not worth anything, but I thought it would be fun to finish up that series and complete Series 1.

1993 was basically the year I stopped collecting cards as a kid so this was the last set that I bought a lot of packs for...until this year.

Members online

Latest posts