Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Andre Ethier + Dodgers close to 5 yr/$85 million

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
"The Dodgers are closing in on a five-year, $85MM extension with Andre Ethier according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The contract contains a sixth year vesting option (Twitter links)."

What does everyone think of this extension?

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
This also limits Josh Hamilton and gives leverage to the Texas Rangers because it was believed that the Dodgers were going to be in on him if they couldn't lock Ethier up.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I'm a dodger fan and like ethier but I would rather have Hamilton. Ethier could pay off to be a smart and safe play. Who knows how playing at dodger stadium would have affected hamiltons hitting considering he is playing in a hitters park right now.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
Hamilton has been great lately no doubt. But what he is susceptible I believe far out weighs what he could bring. He still doesn't have his head on straight and that is probably his only downfall. Bringing someone like that to Tinseltown is not a smart move. Tommy you are right when you say it could be a smart and safe play for the Dodgers.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Smart move by the Dodgers.

I disagree and don't take it personally b/c he's your favorite player. Andre Ethier is a great ballplayer but there's no way I would ever give him the type of money they just did. Would I want him on my team for 5 years? Sure why not, he's a great player.

But just look at his career numbers? Do you really want to pay $17 million a year for that type of production? He's consistent, sure, but he's never even had an OPS of .900.

Ethier is notorious for starting off extremely hot and then just doing a crash & burn. This is the third season he's done this and is already on the down swing (in fairness he could pick it back up). The one year he was hitting .364 by this point in the season and didn't even finish over .300.

All that said, I would love to have a guy like Ethier on my team, I just wouldn't pay him $85 million to do it. I cringe thinking about how much we gave Adam Jones and I think he's a better player. Of course, I've also shaken my head at Matt Cain, Brandon Phillips, and Ian Kinsler's contracts as well.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
I'd like to see the Dodgers have Ethier for five healthy seasons. Part of Ethier's downside seems to be the injury bug.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
The main downside to me seems that he is already pretty old to be getting this kind of money. 85 million when he'll be 31-35 seems excessive.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
This just means Hamilton will get at least at least $30-$40 million more than Ethier will.

Signing Ethier was kind of stupid as far the type of player he is, but he's a fan favorite and while he might not be a true national superstar, he is a cornerstone as far as the Dodgers organization is concerned.

This also limits Josh Hamilton and gives leverage to the Texas Rangers because it was believed that the Dodgers were going to be in on him if they couldn't lock Ethier up.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I definitely think they overpaid. He's an outfielder. The guy is good, not great. I think his production as an outfielder could be found for a fraction of what they gave him. I mean the guy has had 100+ RBI once in his career and barely averages a hit per game played. That's worth 5 years/85 million for a 30 year-old outfielder?

Last edited:

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I definitely think they overpaid. He's an outfielder. The guy is good, not great. I think his production as an outfielder could be found for a fraction of what they gave him. I mean the guy has had 100+ RBI once in his career and barely averages a hit per game played. That's worth 5 years/85 million for a 30 year-old outfielder?
30 is the new 25!

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
Ethier puts fans in the seats, along with Kemp, along with Kershaw. You all may think they overpaid, and that is fine. You have no idea what the return rate is....or is going to be. People are still coming to the games without Kershaw and without Kemp. Why? Because they are still winning, and Ethier is a big part of that. I think it is simple and everyone wants to play the numbers game. He doesn't have to put up huge numbers, he just has to help them keep winning.

Members online

Latest posts