Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

time for a new Kevin, Bryce Harper will be the greatest player who ever lived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
not one player in the history of baseball has looked like harper
looks and plays at 19. he is a monster, already top 10 of all time
and better than pujols and anyone else. This kid is stupid sick amazing
greater than everyone period. carry on

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
"Will be"? I thought he already was. :D

With that said, I am pretty excited that his home park is only about a 15 minute drive from my house. Still have to get over there this year to watch the Nats play.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
When Dwight Gooden was 19 he won the ROY, made the AS team, was 2'nd in the CY vote and 15'th on the MVP vote. At 20 he posted one of the most dominant seasons in all of modern baseball winning the CY and placing 4'th on the MVP vote while adding his second AS game in as many years. Let me know when Harper becomes that dominant.

/thread

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
When Dwight Gooden was 19 he won the ROY, made the AS team, was 2'nd in the CY vote and 15'th on the MVP vote. At 20 he posted one of the most dominant seasons in all of modern baseball winning the CY and placing 4'th on the MVP vote while adding his second AS game in as many years. Let me know when Harper becomes that dominant.

/thread

I do sometimes wonder what kind of career Gooden would have had if he'd kept his head on straight and stayed away from the coke.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC

/thread
So we can't enjoy a spectacular talent unless he as good as Gooden in your Met homer thinking? I bet Harper is higher than 15th on MVP voting when the Nationals win the NL East.

And how did Gooden's career turnout after those two "dominant" years? I'll snort some lines while you research.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana

/thread

You should do yourself a favor and read the article I posted...kinda goes into detail about the rare company (hitter wise) that Harper is in.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
So we can't enjoy a spectacular talent unless he as good as Gooden in your Met homer thinking? I bet Harper is higher than 15th on MVP voting when the Nationals win the NL East.

And how did Gooden's career turnout after those two "dominant" years? I'll snort some lines while you research.

I think you are missing his point. What he is saying is that Gooden was not only good, or even great, during his age 19 and 20 seasons, he was one of the best players in baseball. In 1985, he WAS the best player in baseball. Statisticians routinely use his 1985 season as a barometer to make sure their math is right, as the upper ceiling of the last 40 years of pitching seasons. He didn't slide into his All Star game spots during his first two seasons, he legitimately earned them. That being said, it didn't equate to him being an all time great.

Harper's initial success now doesn't mean anything long term. Hell, Don Mattingly had a heck of a run in the 80s, and he's on the outside looking in at the HOF. I wish Harper all the success in the world, but it takes a large body of work to become an all time great.

When Phil Niekro turned 30, he had a grand total of 31 career wins, so it works the other way too.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

/thread

If Harper was a pitcher he would still have been the greatest player ever. In his rookie year he would have won 2 cy youngs and made both All-star teams.

Latest posts