Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NEED help with PENS - PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
Going to ST in the morning, and I'm unprepared, I think.

I need to get balls signed, OMLBs. I have BiC Blue Ball Pens. Are these good for the balls? Only other things I have are Sharpie Pens (these are thin) and regular Sharpies (supposedly bad for OMLB's). Also have ONE razor base card I'm planning on getting signed, but I guess the BiC Blue Pall Pen should be fine for that...

Any help, PLEASE
Thanks
Zach

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Only use a blue ballpoint pen for the balls and use the regular sharpie for the card.Never get a card signed with a pen unless its vintage and even then I wouldn't reccomend it.If you go with a sharpie(regular ones only...not the fine points) then only use a brand new one.Make sure it works first and then let the player auto the card.It will come out thin but not as thin as if you used a fine point.It will also dry faster than the fine point as well.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:
Only use a blue ballpoint pen for the balls and use the regular sharpie for the card.Never get a card signed with a pen unless its vintage and even then I wouldn't reccomend it.If you go with a sharpie(regular ones only...not the fine points) then only use a brand new one.Make sure it works first and then let the player auto the card.It will come out thin but not as thin as if you used a fine point.It will also dry faster than the fine point as well.

Blue Ball Pen BiC. This will work for the balls? I dont want to ruin a ball testing it but I want to make sure it's going to work.
Is it still considered "ballpoint" if it doesnt say it? Ball pen = Ballpoint pen? Just dont wanna make a stupid mistake here..

I'll use the regular sharpie for the cards (I still have em brand new)
Thanks

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
daveyou said:
good luck, zach!

damn, i wish you brought a red ink pen! red ink sweet spot is sah-weeet~ ;)

dave

wanna send one over?
maybe on the way to the stadium I can look for a cvs or some store like that that MAY have one??? I dont even know which to look for though

sorry dave

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Nikobaseball said:
predatorkj said:

Blue Ball Pen BiC. This will work for the balls? I dont want to ruin a ball testing it but I want to make sure it's going to work.
Is it still considered "ballpoint" if it doesnt say it? Ball pen = Ballpoint pen? Just dont wanna make a stupid mistake here..

Thanks

Your pen will be good

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Nikobaseball said:
predatorkj said:

Thanks

Look at the tip of the pen.If it has a really tiny ball then thats cool.Thats what you need.If its one of those pens with the really runny ink like the $3 or $4 pens then no...don't use it.As long as it is a regular old rinky dink pen that can be purchased in a pack of 10 or even 20 for a couple of bucks then its most likely the correct pen.Don't test it on a ball.Test it on a piece of paper.You should do this anyway to make sure the pen works properly.Never hand a player a pen you haven't used because before you know it you have half an auto on a ball where the pen screwed up and would not produce any ink.Anyways...if the pen glides on the paper really easy and free flowing...wrong pen.If you actually have to press to write with it...its the right kind.Hope this helps.

Hey...worst case scenario...go to a drug store like walgreens or CVS and buy a pack of blue ball point pens and that way you'll know you have the right kind.It will only set you back a few bucks and chances are there is a store on the way to the park.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
daveyou said:
good luck, zach!

dave

It will also fade the quickest.

Yes, blue bic for baseballs and the sharpie will work for the Razor base. I would rub the card down first since they are a little glossy.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Get these if you stop by CVS.They are the correct ones and they will last you for years and years.

02-18-2009091828pm2.jpg

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the help guys. Will use the sharpie for the card and the Blue pens I have for the balls (99% sure they're the right ones :) )

Expect a post from me tomorrow with some nice auto's, I hope! If not, it'll still be a fun experience.
Thanks
Zach

scuba - rub down with what?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ru4scuba said:
daveyou said:
good luck, zach!

dave

It will also fade the quickest.

Yes, blue bic for baseballs and the sharpie will work for the Razor base. I would rub the card down first since they are a little glossy.

Bingo and Bingo.

I won't go with red on anything.Blue or Black only.Blue for baseballs although I do have a few in black because I wasn't paying attention and the player accidently signed in black because the table they were at had pens already there.Always make the athlete sign with your pen or sharpie.I wasted a perfectly good football with Matt Schaub because of this stupid mistake.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
ru4scuba said:
predatorkj said:
Get these if you stop by CVS.They are the correct ones and they will last you for years and years.

I would use the Bic brand. I've had lesser quality pens bleed.

I'm just gonna go with what I have. The BiC blue ball points and sharpies. Thanks for all the help guys, I was nervous for a sec there

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Nikobaseball said:
Thanks for the help guys. Will use the sharpie for the card and the Blue pens I have for the balls (99% sure they're the right ones :) )

Expect a post from me tomorrow with some nice auto's, I hope! If not, it'll still be a fun experience.
Thanks
Zach

scuba - rub down with what?

A cloth or the back of your hand works either way if your not to conscious about the slight smudge marks.If you do the cloth just rub it for about 30 seconds to a minute and it will take enough of the gloss off to get a good auto but not enough to ruin the look of the card.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
daveyou said:
never knew about red ink.... :oops:

blue~

dave

I think it all depends on a lot of factors.I have had people chastise for using anything but black but I don't know them really well or what or where they put their collectibles in.Lets just say I have all kinds of things signed in blue and black and everything looks okay except a few cheap balls I used at the ball park for signatures and only one of those looks pretty bad.The others seem to hold up good so it could be a number of things.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Needless to say I am anal about my autos and everything from pens used to placement on the item.Each time you get another one, I have found, you get a little more picky each time so I ended up trying to get this down to an exact science.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
predatorkj said:
daveyou said:
never knew about red ink.... :oops:

blue~

dave

I think it all depends on a lot of factors.I have had people chastise for using anything but black but I don't know them really well or what or where they put their collectibles in.Lets just say I have all kinds of things signed in blue and black and everything looks okay except a few cheap balls I used at the ball park for signatures and only one of those looks pretty bad.The others seem to hold up good so it could be a number of things.

Actually, black fades pretty quickly into yellow. I have some cards signed with black sharpie from the early 90's that haven't seen the light of day since the day they were signed that have started to fade.

Latest posts