Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

THE BEST-OVERALL ACTIVE TEAM - by position - Catcher

Who is the best-overall active catcher? (PLEASE SELECT YOUR TOP-TWO)

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Honorable Mentions; Victor Martinez, Kurt Suzuki, Geovany Soto, Alex Avila, Carlos Santana, A.J. Pierzynski

Lets assemble the best-overall active team by voting on who the best overall is at each position. First up, catcher. I'll do 1B after we get 50+ votes, then 2B and so on.

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP-TWO

C - YADIER MOLINA
1B -
2B -
SS -
3B -
LF -
CF -
RF -
DH -
SP -
SP -
SP -
SP -
RP -

THE GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME TEAM

Last edited:

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
This makes me happy. I enjoyed voting for the all-time team, so a huge thanks to the OP for doing this.

With that being said, I'd like to make a request: Would it be possible for you to list the choices alphabetically by last name (or even first name, for that matter)? It seems like the best/most obvious choices are always the first couple that are listed, so I'd like to see if it turns out differently if the order wasn't always set up like this.

By the way, Yadier Molina obviously waxes his eyebrows, so I couldn't bring myself to vote for him.

Thanks again for doing this!!!

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sorry, I know this is a homer question, but how the hell does Geo Soto get an honorable mention and not Jonathan Lucroy? And to prove I'm not a total homer, I voted for Yadi and would have, even with Lucroy on the list.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
I went with Wieters and Yadier.

Briefly considered Posey, but I like Wieters more than him and Molina was a definite no brainer decision for me.

Glad you did fire this up SCT. I thoroughly enjoyed your previous run through with the all time greats, can't wait to see with the team the board comes up with for current players.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Going with Mauer.. other than the unattainable power numbers he had before.. he's still the most consistent hitter up there.

In the three seasons since Target Field has opened, Mauer has hit TWO home runs there. Not quite what you want for a guy making $23 million a year.

Since 2010:
Yadier Molina - 28 HRs, 159 RBIs, .291 BA, 111 OPS+, 7.9 WAR (and he had 9 RBIs in last year's World Series!!!)
Joe Mauer - 15 HRs, 136 RBIs, .311 BA, 128 OPS+, 7.9 WAR

Oh, and Mauer has only played catcher in 28 of his 56 games this year. Yadier has played catcher in all 57 of his games.

Just sayin...

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
In the three seasons since Target Field has opened, Mauer has hit TWO home runs there. Not quite what you want for a guy making $23 million a year.

Since 2010:
Yadier Molina - 28 HRs, 159 RBIs, .291 BA, 111 OPS+, 7.9 WAR (and he had 9 RBIs in last year's World Series!!!)
Joe Mauer - 15 HRs, 136 RBIs, .311 BA, 128 OPS+, 7.9 WAR

Oh, and Mauer has only played catcher in 28 of his 56 games this year. Yadier has played catcher in all 57 of his games.

Just sayin...
Like I said in my previous post, the power isn't there anymore.. but the .311 is a key stat.. and he's hit much better than that in the past, HR's withstanding. I'm going overall career here as well.

As far as the games at catcher.. I'll give you that.

Members online