Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS OR PSA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
So if you had to choose for say a rice rookie or an Elway or something in the 80s. Would you choose a PSA 9 or BGS 9?

One thing that turns me off on the BGS 9s are the subs. I have yet to find one that has all 9s. Always one has an 8.5.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
I use to divide right down the middle, anything older, I wanted PSA... Newer stuff such as Chrome and the like, BGS. I have since changed to all PSA except for thick holders as I don't like how PSA's are oversized.

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
BGS

I'm one of those picky OCD type dudes that adores BGS for implementing the soft sleeve inside of the graded case for limited movement and the extra overall protection of the card.

Also, I think the PSA holders are just down right fugly and not to mention frail.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
Snyper said:
I'm one of those picky OCD type dudes that adores BGS for implementing the soft sleeve inside of the graded case for limited movement and the extra overall protection of the card. I wish PSA would do that.

same here!

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
KOBEARODLT said:
Snyper said:
I'm one of those picky OCD type dudes that adores BGS for implementing the soft sleeve inside of the graded case for limited movement and the extra overall protection of the card. I wish PSA would do that.

same here!

Same here as well. Not to mention, till i found this place, i spent much time reading the PSA boards and the net54 boards and it seems that there is really a lot of tampered psa cases on the market, where as BGS is tamper proof.

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:
KOBEARODLT said:
Snyper said:

same here!

Same here as well. Not to mention, till i found this place, i spent much time reading the PSA boards and the net54 boards and it seems that there is really a lot of tampered psa cases on the market, where as BGS is tamper proof.

No kidding? Wow... I guess that kinda serves as testament to my "PSA holders as being frail" comment.

Score another one for BGS.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Snyper said:
G $MONEY$ said:
KOBEARODLT said:
Snyper said:

same here!

No kidding? Wow... I guess that kinda serves as testament to my "PSA holders as being frail" comment.

Score another one for BGS.

Oh yeah, there is a ton of tampered psa cases on the market. Psa cases can be broken perfectly in half where as BGS cases can not. One of the best ways to tell of a tampered psa case is it will have "frosted" edges.

Aug 29, 2008
Chalk up another vote for BGS, and mainly for the same reasons everyone else said. I always thought PSA cases looked very amateurish while BGS looks more professional. I also love the half grades and the grading of the Auto. I think having the subs on the card is a great thing. I like trying to get a card with all 9's or all 9.5's.

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
Hey Bilko can you post an example of what you mean by "frosted" I am very curious as i am starting a graded card pc and just got several PSA graded cards. Now a few of them I mean I don't think people would go through the trouble to jack with a Ricky Watters action packed rookie, but before I buy a Jerry Rice, i'd sure like to know. I may just hold out for a bgs on the rice..The smaller guys like a pro set romanowski i am not worried about the psa.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Ryo1549 said:
Hey Bilko can you post an example of what you mean by "frosted" I am very curious as i am starting a graded card pc and just got several PSA graded cards. Now a few of them I mean I don't think people would go through the trouble to jack with a Ricky Watters action packed rookie, but before I buy a Jerry Rice, i'd sure like to know. I may just hold out for a bgs on the rice..The smaller guys like a pro set romanowski i am not worried about the psa.

FYI, if you want an example of a tampered case, here's one with tell tale signs and was confirmed by PSA as having the flips switched (not the card itself).

Note lower right side of the slab.

2552uk3.jpg

There is a Bobby Orr near the end of this thread...

http://forums.collectors.com/messagevie ... d1=frosted

Another thread on Frosted Psa cards

If there is clouding around the edge, the holder is likely tampered with. Also, if there is any question in your mind that the holder looks different, stay away. There will always be another one to be found soon. There will be a ton of more examples on PSA Message boards, just search with keywords like "Frosted", "Tampered", "Fake" etc. Its actually such a big dilemma over there i went and checked out all my psa cards.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:
Ryo1549 said:

FYI, if you want an example of a tampered case, here's one with tell tale signs and was confirmed by PSA as having the flips switched (not the card itself).

Note lower right side of the slab.

2552uk3.jpg

There is a Bobby Orr near the end of this thread...

Another thread on Frosted Psa cards

If there is clouding around the edge, the holder is likely tampered with. Also, if there is any question in your mind that the holder looks different, stay away. There will always be another one to be found soon. There will be a ton of more examples on PSA Message boards, just search with keywords like "Frosted", "Tampered", "Fake" etc. Its actually such a big dilemma over there i went and checked out all my psa cards.

I actually had a slab like that. I figured something was wrong with it, but didn't know exactly what.

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
flightposite said:
Snyper said:
WOW. I will NEVER buy a PSA slab after this thread. (Not that I was a fan before anyway.)

Why? As long as the holder isn't damaged, it's fine.

See my previous reasons. But I'll check the score just to keep it updated.

1) Fugly ass holders

2) Cases are way too frail/thin

3) No soft sleeve used

4) Cases are easy to tamper with apparently...

Members online

Latest posts