Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay works in strange ways

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I guess I am a bit confused how eBay really works. That or how people work. I had a few BIN/BO auctions up for about 2 weeks and they had very few viewers/watchers. Last night, I decided to put them in an auction format and I now have at least double viewers/watchers within 12 hours. I am not sure if it the marketing scheme how when you create a BIN/BO that ebay decides to hide the listings or people are just looking at the auctions tab.

I know that when I am looking for a particular item or brand, I am sure to search the all auctions tab and then will sometimes switch between the two. Anyone else every experience this?

Another gripe for which anyone that has used BIN/BO's are the low ball offers. I know this has been talked about time and time again. I just don't know if people don't know how to search the completed auctions and see what the ending price was or if they are really dumb or just trying to get a GREAT deal. The thing that irks me about that is that I have a decent amount of feedback and if you look at my current/completed auctions I am obviously selling cards mainly on my account. How does common sense not kick in and tell you that I am not going to do my research and know exactly how much a card sells for with a lowball offer? Yes, I know I can put up Auto Decline, but in my mind, I think that deters buyers. Even though I like to **REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED** about the low ball offers, I can either just decline it or counter offer if they are close to what I want out of the card. I never send any nasty messages or block them for putting up a stupid offer.

Ok, end of rant. Hope everyone is having a great Monday.

Edit: What is the "Redacted" thing about? I didn't say anything nasty???

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Many of the BIN/BO listings are pretty ridiculous but I'm not close-minded either and know sometimes you find good deals with them. However, because of those high prices, especially on an item that has many listings, I wonder if people just click the auction only tab like you mentioned. I know when I see a card that was once $50 and is now $2, I only want to pay around $2, but some sellers don't adjust or just keep relisting over and over the same card with a BIN that is equal to what the card sold for a year ago. I generally don't even bother to offer on these out of fear or offending the seller! It's not my job to open his eyes to reality and let's face it, there are some people that aren't too bright, so the seller may find someone willing to pay closer to his asking price if he continues to wait. LOL

I think it also has to do with what you are listing and your street cred with eBay. If you are listing a very common item that there are already hundreds of (if not thousands), and don't have as great a rep with ebay as other sellers of the same item, they may be sinking your listing further down the pipeline, especially if it's a good until cancelled listing, whereas with a 7 day auction it should show up higher in the search results.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
I had this happen on a Jedd Gyorko Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor Auto BGS 9.5/10 over the weekend. Got an offer of $40, the last two RAW copies of this card sold for $60 and $67. Unlike the OP, I do write the nasty reply on the message screen. I could care less how that makes me look in the eyes of someone who is never going to actually buy one of my cards.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Sometimes it works out for the best. I had a Paul Konerko Bowman Chrome red refractor buy it now for $15 nobody bought it when it was listed for 30 days. Put up for auction and the final price was $40.
What I dont understand is when I accept best offers and the buyer doesnt pay. I have had 4 non paying bidders in the last month on best offers I accepted.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
remember the good old days when guys paid for auctions because if they didn't they would carry a negative in their feedback for forever?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I see the same **REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED** if I **REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED** on eBay.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
I buy one player in particular and only search auctions for cards. I get sick of all the bs buy it nows and best offers and refuse to go thru them all. So if you have a high end card of my player please list it the auction way. Allthough I have searched for a handful of cards individually in the past and have included all listings in those searches.

Members online

Latest posts