Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Today's Former "Can't Miss" Top Prospect...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hey everyone! the last thread I made garnered some interest so I thought I would make another!

The man that we are talking about today is someone that prospectors drooled over due to his power hitting abilities and all around intangibles which led to him being drafted 23rd overall in 2003 by the Anaheim Angels.

That man: Brandon Wood.

The 2003 draft class provided prospectors and collectors alike with plenty of "investments" who were sure to become future perennial All Stars. In a draft that included Delmon Young, Rickie Weeks, Conor Jackson and Carlos Quentin, you can see how a kid from Horizon High School fell to the 23rd slot. That said, Brandon wasted little time establishing himself as a premier hitter in the minors and after 61 games in rookie ball, he was promoted to Low A ball.

After playing 125 games in Low A in 2004, the Angels decided it was time for the next step, and Brandon was promoted to Hi A at Rancho Cucamonga, where in 130 games Brandon destroyed pitchers with a .321/42/115 line.

Brandon's success led him to be named the Angels' #1 Prospect in 2005 and sequentially in 2006 and 2007 where Brandon established himself as a consistent hitter in the .275/25/85 range. Baseball America took notice and rated Brandon their #3 prospect in 2005, #8 in 2006 and #16 in 2007.

Brandon's first cup of coffee came in 2007 where he played in only 13 games while hitting around .150.

Since his callup in 2007, Brandon has struggled to regain the promise and form he once displayed. Could this be because he has never been given a full season of Major League play to develop himself and adjust to Major League pitching? He has been shuffled around between the bigs and minors for the majority of the past five years with his most recent venture being a minor league gig in AAA with the Rockies in which he has put up okay numbers.

It has been a while (and by "a while", I mean, many years) since Brandon has been a relevant figure in prospecting circles.

$(KGrHqUOKjEE6dHWKSbGBOtzTPhPfw~~60_12.JPG

Brandon's best rookie card has been his 2003 Bowman Chrome Draft auto. At it's peak, this card regularly sold between the $75-100 dollar price range with parallels like his refractor and xfractors gathering sometimes over twice that amount.

If you are so inclined, you can still find Wood's Chrome auto's around; just not at 2003-2005 prices. A base Chrome auto ended on June 16th, for $2.25.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
What a bummer that he never panned out.

I was with the Angels in 2004, and spent 6 weeks in Spring training with the minor league teams. Brandon was a great guy, and truly had some crazy talent. I saw multiple himeruns during intra squad games that it appeared he barely swung that went flying over the wall. Too bad.

I did have a BGS base Chrome Auto of his, that was the only one for a LONG TIME and I got almost $400 for it I believe.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Skrip or others can verify, but I certainly don't remember anyone clamoring about him during the 2003 Draft, at least not on BMB. Nor was anyone excited other than Blake possibly about his autos in 2003 Draft.

A filthy season in the CAL League turned him into a hobby hype machine.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Back when BGS 10s were quite uncommon, I offered a guy $900 for a BGS 10 refractor of the Bowman Chrome Auto. The guy turned me down, saying he needed at least $1000. Thank god.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Skrip or others can verify, but I certainly don't remember anyone clamoring about him during the 2003 Draft, at least not on BMB. Nor was anyone excited other than Blake possibly about his autos in 2003 Draft.

A filthy season in the CAL League turned him into a hobby hype machine.

Agreed, he was fairly cheap upon release, and didn't reall take off until the Cal League Season.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
His Ops was off the charts, he hit 50 homers in one season counting his arizona league numbers. I think he also had 100 extra base hits that year.

Members online

Latest posts