Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

THE BEST-OVERALL ACTIVE TEAM - by position - Second Base

Who is the best-overall active second baseman? (PLEASE SELECT YOUR TOP-TWO)

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Honorable Mentions; Rickie Weeks, Kelly Johnson, Howie Kendrick, Brian Roberts, Omar Infante, Mark Ellis

Lets assemble the best-overall active team by voting on who the best overall is at each position. Now up, second base. I'll do the next position after we get 50+ votes, then the next and so on.

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP-TWO

C - YADIER MOLINA
1B - JOEY VOTTO
2B - ROBINSON CANO
SS -
3B -
LF -
CF -
RF -
DH -
SP -
SP -
SP -
SP -
RP -

THE GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME TEAM

Last edited:

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Cano at this point is worthy of winning this award, but I just can't believe people went Votto over Pujols way too early for that

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Cano is hands down the most productive hitting 2nd baseman in the league, but when considering "best overall", I took into consideration speed and defense as well. I went with Pedroia and Phillips. Kinlser and Kipnis are up there too on that 5-tool level.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Cano not only the best hitting but also best fielding. The game sometimes almost looks too easy for him.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Cano is hands down the most productive hitting 2nd baseman in the league, but when considering "best overall", I took into consideration speed and defense as well. I went with Pedroia and Phillips. Kinlser and Kipnis are up there too on that 5-tool level.

Phillips is good, I think perdroia's best is behind him. Don't underestimate cano's fielding he's very solid in the field he gets the ball out of his glove real quick him and jeter turn 2 like almost no on else in the MLB. He doesn't make some spectacular plays like through the leg throws like Phillips makes but cano is a very solid fielder

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Phillips is good, I think perdroia's best is behind him. Don't underestimate cano's fielding he's very solid in the field he gets the ball out of his glove real quick him and jeter turn 2 like almost no on else in the MLB. He doesn't make some spectacular plays like through the leg throws like Phillips makes but cano is a very solid fielder
Not to mention that Cano gets to balls with ease that other guys have to dive for. He also makes everything loos do easy. I have never seen a second baseman make some of the throws that he makes, especially going into the hole and turning the double play.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Cano at this point is worthy of winning this award, but I just can't believe people went Votto over Pujols way too early for that

Exactly. Votto will have to string together some pretty amazing seasons over the next few years for people to look back when they are retired and say the Votto had a better career than Pujols.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Exactly. Votto will have to string together some pretty amazing seasons over the next few years for people to look back when they are retired and say the Votto had a better career than Pujols.

This is about who the best is at each position RIGHT NOW though. Past and future is meaningless in this particular discussion.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
This is about who the best is at each position RIGHT NOW though. Past and future is meaningless in this particular discussion.

Interestingly enough, this is opinion based on a relative term and not a fact as your stance assumes it to be. More so to the point, what does 'right now' mean to you? The past game? Past week? This year only? A relative body of work over the recent past, say a couple years? A decade?? Although I agree that Votto is the better choice right now(meaning this year), to negate all that Pujols has done over the past decade is fruitless and despite his recent lack of production compared to his historic body of work (recent equating to this year) many would still consider him to the the best in the game.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Interestingly enough, this is opinion based on a relative term and not a fact as your stance assumes it to be. More so to the point, what does 'right now' mean to you? The past game? Past week? This year only? A relative body of work over the recent past, say a couple years? A decade?? Although I agree that Votto is the better choice right now(meaning this year), to negate all that Pujols has done over the past decade is fruitless and despite his recent lack of production compared to his historic body of work (recent equating to this year) many would still consider him to the the best in the game.

You kind of lost me. Each voter votes with his or her own opinion. I would hope that everyone takes EVERYTHING into account when voting on who the best is currently. Me, I voted "A relative body of work over the recent past, say a couple years?". I voted Pujols 1st and Votto 2nd, but Votto has been a better player in recent history, so it doesn't shock me that he has an ever so slight edge. Pujols doesn't tank statistically the last two seasons and he wins by a wide margin.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
He's 28. This is his 6th season. His best days are in front of him.

I don't think that he is too old or too worn out. I just think that he will never be the best 2nd basemen in the league again. At once i could say with certainty I'd want him on my dream team at second

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I don't think that he is too old or too worn out. I just think that he will never be the best 2nd basemen in the league again. At once i could say with certainty I'd want him on my dream team at second
He's still one of the top 3 defensive second basemen, but injuries have limited him offensively whether he wants to admit it or not. Just last season he had an amazing year, his first 20/20 and his highest OBP of his career [.387].

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Because Cano hadn't met his potential until 2010 or so. If Pedroia met or exceeded his first 5 years' output for his next 5+ and there was no Cano he would be the runaway dream team 2nd baseman. And probably in the Hall of Fame. And besides there being no Cano this is a perfectly reasonable statistical scenario given his age, position, work ethic, etc.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
One of the reasons I went with Kinsler is that, I can see where this enterprise is going, and we aren't going to select any guys with decent speed. Unless we're all gonna get together and vote Bourn as our centerfielder, I'd like to have one guy who can steal some bases.

Members online

No members online now.