Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Found a nice little surprise that I kinda forgot I had...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Moving in with my girlfriend so I'm trying to get all my stuff in order, including piles of cards randomly strewn around my bedroom. Found this in a stack of mediocre GU junk:

img610.jpg

Case is filthy and sealed with packing tape, so the scan sucks, but the card is awesome! Plus, for the Bernie Williams collectors, it's a sneaky cameo (he's on the scoreboard in the background.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
What player is making their cameo in the outfield there?

Couldn't tell for sure. So many players manned LF for the Sox in 2006 (when this picture must have been taken, based on Williams still being a Yankee), and I wasn't able to find a Sox/Yankees game that matched the stats. The scoreboard gives Williams BA as .274, and what looks like 12 HRs, but the last Sox/Yanks series in 2006, Williams had 11 HRs. It can't be 10 HR, since he had either 8 or 9 during the infamous 5 game sweep in August. Can't figure out the game, so I can't figure out the guy. Doesn't look like Manny, though; whoever it is seems far more put together.

BTW, I completely forgot about that McGee card, it'll be on it's way!

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Couldn't tell for sure. So many players manned LF for the Sox in 2006 (when this picture must have been taken, based on Williams still being a Yankee), and I wasn't able to find a Sox/Yankees game that matched the stats. The scoreboard gives Williams BA as .274, and what looks like 12 HRs, but the last Sox/Yanks series in 2006, Williams had 11 HRs. It can't be 10 HR, since he had either 8 or 9 during the infamous 5 game sweep in August. Can't figure out the game, so I can't figure out the guy. Doesn't look like Manny, though; whoever it is seems far more put together.
Could be from 03' when Williams played in Boston when his BA was hovering mid 270's....if that's the case then the OFer was Gabe Kapler. Although in that series Williams had 10 HRs so that might not be it. Still looking!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I don't think it's Kapler; the mystery fielder appears to be wearing a black glove on his right hand. Kapler is right-handed...had to do a Google search to double check that, and was "rewarded" by seeing a pic of Kapler on the beach in a leopard-print Speedo.

Since it's a 2007 card, I was assuming the picture was from 2006, but I could be completely wrong. It could be some ancient picture that UD dug out of their archives, maybe it won't even be possible to figure out when it was taken.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I don't think it's Kapler; the mystery fielder appears to be wearing a black glove on his right hand. Kapler is right-handed...had to do a Google search to double check that, and was "rewarded" by seeing a pic of Kapler on the beach in a leopard-print Speedo.

Since it's a 2007 card, I was assuming the picture was from 2006, but I could be completely wrong. It could be some ancient picture that UD dug out of their archives, maybe it won't even be possible to figure out when it was taken.
Then the player is Dave McCarty, who started the third game of that series. He was left handed.

EDIT: Sorry to put you through that :lol:

Last edited:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

Safe search is your friend.....so you must have your setting for search at no restrictions :lol:

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
bernie had 12 hrs in both 05 and 06 so unless that game was in sept. the picture is from a different year. cool card.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts