Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New 2012 Topps Mini Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/06/exclusive-topps-offer-new-details-on-2012-mini-baseball-set/

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Topps offered the latest glimpses into its upcoming surprise product on Monday as it offered additional information about its 2012 Topps Mini baseball set exclusively to Beckett Media.
The product will be issued in pack form with mini versions of all base cards found in the Series 1 and Series 2 (as the case with this year’s factory sets). It also will include autographs and memorabilia cards, too — all in the smaller size a la the 1975 Topps Mini set, which was a test issue only released in Michigan.
“This should be a great product,” said Topps’ Mike Jaspersen. “[It's] 1975 all over again.”

This product, which will only be available at ShopTopps.com (the company’s webstore), was teased online there last week. The mini set will be officially unveiled on Aug. 1 at the National Sports Collectors Convention with 10 cards per pack and one autograph or Relic card in every 24-pack box.

For those who looked closely at the mocked wax box, it notes that there are 661 cards in this one. Presuming it’s a direct parallel to the 2012 Topps set, that means Washington Nationals rookie Bryce Harper will be found in the product. He appears on the wrapper along with another notable rookie this season, Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish, along with Matt Kemp, Josh Hamilton, Prince Fielder and Roy Halladay.

Topps is rehashing another old idea, but nonetheless, I'll probably buy some:p. I'll finally get to use some of those $10 gift codes I got from the Golden Giveaway on something. Hopefully this idea fares better than the Allen & Ginter Glossy set...

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I wish they would release the regular set as one Series again.I love this idea except for the fact it will be only sold on their website.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Will topps be sending out KY to their hobby shops for the screwing they are about to get? sad.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I doubt hobby stores would be dying to pick up the product anyway. Smaller version of the regular set with only one hit per box. This is a set-builder niche product (kudos to Topps for making it).

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I think people who like niche products and just like to build sets will go for it. It better be cheap though, like cheaper than base topps.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I doubt hobby stores would be dying to pick up the product anyway. Smaller version of the regular set with only one hit per box. This is a set-builder niche product (kudos to Topps for making it).

I agree.No hobby shops would get screwed by not having this product.It will only appeal to a very small portion of the collecting community.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Now if we could just get them to release the set as a factory set for like $19.99 for all of us lazy asses who get tired of spending a fortune trying to build a set, everything would be gravy.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
Now if we could just get them to release the set as a factory set for like $19.99 for all of us lazy asses who get tired of spending a fortune trying to build a set, everything would be gravy.

Well where's the fun in that? ;) But if they did make it a factory set, I think you'd have a better chance at winning the lottery without a ticket then seeing it on sale for $19.99.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well where's the fun in that? ;) But if they did make it a factory set, I think you'd have a better chance at winning the lottery without a ticket then seeing it on sale for $19.99.

Well how much would they charge? I mean, how much is something like that worth? You can get the regular set for $50.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
Well how much would they charge? I mean, how much is something like that worth? You can get the regular set for $50.

Considering they charged $100 + shipping for the A&G Glossy set (999 made) that came with nothing but 10 bonus base cards (for a total of 360), I'd think a 661 card set, despite it being "mini", would be priced at no less than $100 since quantities will probably be "limited".

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Considering they charged $100 + shipping for the A&G Glossy set (999 made) that came with nothing but 10 bonus base cards (for a total of 360), I'd think a 661 card set, despite it being "mini", would be priced at no less than $100 since quantities will probably be "limited".

I'm talking about like the topps micro where it's not necessarily limited. I mean, if they are indeed only offering this online, and not at hobby shops but most importantly retail outlets, they are already shooting themselves in the foot. Not sure how many buyers you'd have for something like this if it was expensive. This is a good product to do cheaply and get interest and fun back into the hobby. I guess what I was hoping is that the OP was basically a starting point and it would evolve into something similar to topps micro.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
As a hobby shop owner, I'm glad this wasn't offered to me.

Rule #1 of fight club is don't mess with the size of the base cards.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
If Topps made a limited mini Bowman Chrome set where production was cut in half from the regular sized set, including the inserts/parallels/refractors, would collectors buy this?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
If Topps made a limited mini Bowman Chrome set where production was cut in half from the regular sized set, including the inserts/parallels/refractors, would collectors buy this?

Different niche. Not sure if you should mess with Chrome.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
As a hobby shop owner, I'm glad this wasn't offered to me.

Rule #1 of fight club is don't mess with the size of the base cards.

Allen and Ginter, Gypsy Queen, and Goodwin's Champions minis are desireable. I can see a market for this. But I just think it would be better if it was a cheap product.

Members online

Latest posts