Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

THE BEST-OVERALL ACTIVE TEAM - by position - Left Field

Who is the best-overall active left fielder? (PLEASE SELECT YOUR TOP-TWO)

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Honorable Mentions; Josh Willingham, Alex Gordon, Jason Kubel, Desmond Jennings, Alfonso Soriano, Johnny Damon

Lets assemble the best-overall active team by voting on who the best overall is at each position. Now up, left field. I'll do the next position after we get 50+ votes, then the next and so on.

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP-TWO

C - YADIER MOLINA
1B - JOEY VOTTO
2B - ROBINSON CANO
SS - TROY TULOWITZKI
3B - MIGUEL CABRERA
LF - RYAN BRAUN
CF -
RF -
DH -
SP -
SP -
SP -
SP -
RP -

THE GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME TEAM

Last edited:

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This shouldn't even be a contest for the top overall right now. Now, I know someone's going to reply with an argument but it's pretty difficult to debate:

4 straight Silver Slugger awards
a ROY
an MVP
4 straight All-Star appearances in 4 eligible years (going to be five)
Another top-3 MVP year in three other-eligible seasons

You may not like him, which I think is ridiculous, but he's the best outfielder in baseball.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not so much going to point out how one-sided the voting should be, but I'm more perplexed how relatively weak the choices are. No one outside of Braun has been the model of superstar consistancy, allowing the Gonzales could get there (I'd like to see more than 2 1/2 year out of him).

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
If PEDs were not in the picture, Braun would not be the best LFer in baseball (yes, I know this is 100% speculation and could very well not be true), but I just can't bring myself to vote for a cheater. I had the utmost respect for him before that whole fiasco and I just think probably Carlos Gonzalez deserves this award since Braun for me is disqualified. Holliday is also good

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If PEDs were not in the picture, Braun would not be the best LFer in baseball (yes, I know this is 100% speculation and could very well not be true), but I just can't bring myself to vote for a cheater. I had the utmost respect for him before that whole fiasco and I just think probably Carlos Gonzalez deserves this award since Braun for me is disqualified. Holliday is also good

Agree 100%.

I also can't possibly agree with the statement that Braun is the best outfielder in baseball, regardless of PED debate. Have you ever heard of Matt Kemp or Josh Hamilton?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I went with Braun. Regardless of what happened in that specific situation (and honestly there's weirdness on all sides starting from the fact his results were way higher than anyone else in history) he's been tested dozens of other times during his career and never tested positive. IMO he's by far the best at the position.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Agree 100%.

I also can't possibly agree with the statement that Braun is the best outfielder in baseball, regardless of PED debate. Have you ever heard of Matt Kemp or Josh Hamilton?

I also agree with this, I'd much rather Kemp and Hamilton is playing head and shoulders better now.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Ryan Braun has accumulated 4.129 years of service time according to Baseball Reference. Josh Hamilton has accumulated 5.0 years of service time. Hamilton has 2539 AB's in those 5.0 years. Braun has 3154 AB's in his 4+ years of time. Although they have played around the same amount of service time Braun leads Hamilton in the following:

Hits (by almost 200)
HRs (by 40)
RBI (by 80)
BA (by .002)
SBs (by 67)

Braun has two more OF Silver Sluggers and matches Hamilton's MVP. Braun ads a ROY, another top-3 MVP finish, and has drawn more walks.

I understand everyone's love affair with Hamilton right now, but stats, and his ability to stay in the lineup says Braun is the better OF right now. Not to mention that Braun is playing 2012 for 6 million. Hamilton is making 13 million plus this season.

Frankly, Kemp has had one really good season. He's not in their class yet.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Ryan Braun has accumulated 4.129 years of service time according to Baseball Reference. Josh Hamilton has accumulated 5.0 years of service time. Hamilton has 2539 AB's in those 5.0 years. Braun has 3154 AB's in his 4+ years of time. Although they have played around the same amount of service time Braun leads Hamilton in the following:

Hits (by almost 200)
HRs (by 40)
RBI (by 80)
BA (by .002)
SBs (by 67)

Braun has two more OF Silver Sluggers and matches Hamilton's MVP. Braun ads a ROY, another top-3 MVP finish, and has drawn more walks.

I understand everyone's love affair with Hamilton right now, but stats, and his ability to stay in the lineup says Braun is the better OF right now. Not to mention that Braun is playing 2012 for 6 million. Hamilton is making 13 million plus this season.

Frankly, Kemp has had one really good season. He's not in their class yet.

Braun has great numbers. The problem, is the way fans outside Milwaukee perceive him. He was an arrogant a$$hat even before he decided to boost those numbers and get help.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
jbhoffman, If Braun decided to "boost those numbers and get help", how do you explain this season?

After all he scrutiny over him during the offseason, shouldn't the "help" have worn off and he should be performing worse?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010

And who is to say that Gonzalez and Holiday arent using anything. Holiday especially, poster boy for peds.

Frow

jbhoffman, If Braun decided to "boost those numbers and get help", how do you explain this season?

After all he scrutiny over him during the offseason, shouldn't the "help" have worn off and he should be performing worse?

I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010

You dont take steroids once to boost your numbers. It doesnt work that way.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Keep in mind Braun tested negative
dozens of times. Odds are he's either been clean his whole career and it was an aberration, or always been on something but with some sort of masking agent that may or may not exist. One way he's totally legit, the other he's a fraud. I lean toward the former but unfortunately there may be no way to know for sure.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Keep in mind Braun tested negative
dozens of times. Odds are he's either been clean his whole career and it was an aberration, or always been on something but with some sort of masking agent that may or may not exist. One way he's totally legit, the other he's a fraud. I lean toward the former but unfortunately there may be no way to know for sure.

Unless he fails a test in the future, which is always a possibility if he indeed is/was on PEDs.

Members online