Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

For those that list graded and raw cards on ebay...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
do you notice any effect on the raw cards considering that you have graded ones on sale as well? Do you feel that buyers may bid lower or shy away thinking that there is "something wrong" with the raw card or else it would have been slabbed?

Or, do you see no difference at all in ending prices compared to the same card from other sellers who don't sell graded cards?

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
I haven't seen any big difference. The buyers would have to see all my auctions to notice if some were graded and some were not. When bidding on an item I rarely ever check out the sellers other auctions.

I think it may be a little different if the seller had 500-BGS 9.5s and 5 raw cards for sale.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
If I am bidding on Vintage Raw I look and see if they also sell graded. I won't by raw vintage from someone who grades, it could easily mean there is a surface wrinkle or bubble or another flaw that isn't coming through clearly in the scan.

For Modern, I probably should check, but I do not, since I seldom buy modern graded and assume most sellars don't bother to get it graded.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
I try to not buy raw from those who grade either. But i see what you are asking in that i have bulk raw prospects and graded for sale at the same time even though i have never graded a card in my life, all of mine were bought that way. I dont notice a difference on sale prices .

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I buy/ sell both Graded & Raw. Its not that I dont want to have all of my cards graded...Its just that I grade my better stuff first. I dont always send in EVERYTHING that I own, buy, or sell. Also it depends when I aquire some items. I have all of my Matt Harvey Blue Ref Autos graded...but I just got two more and they are raw. I wont be sending them into get graded because I will be selling them before the next time I send in an order = Why I will be listing two Raw and 11 graded.

When I am buying cards, I look for the condition of the one card that I am buying. If the card meets my visual standards then I buy regardless of the other items the seller has listed.

Overall I do not see any reflection in my final sale prices for my raw cards.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I buy/ sell both Graded & Raw. Its not that I dont want to have all of my cards graded...Its just that I grade my better stuff first. I dont always send in EVERYTHING that I own, buy, or sell. Also it depends when I aquire some items. I have all of my Matt Harvey Blue Ref Autos graded...but I just got two more and they are raw. I wont be sending them into get graded because I will be selling them before the next time I send in an order = Why I will be listing two Raw and 11 graded.

When I am buying cards, I look for the condition of the one card that I am buying. If the card meets my visual standards then I buy regardless of the other items the seller has listed.

Overall I do not see any reflection in my final sale prices for my raw cards.

Same with me. I don't grade everything, and honestly, I don't really want to grade everything. I don't think it makes a difference with my sell prices.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
I'm not really answering your question, but as a buyer, I will not bid as much on raw cards from a seller with graded cards. I learned the hard way with some Heywards from a seller that looked fine in the scan, but all but one came with some noticeable flaw. Once I realized that, I started bidding accordingly. And I think other buyers have caught on because the final prices don't seem to be quite as high as other auction prices, so it's not just me bowing out.

It's also interesting that some sellers here said that their non-graded cards aren't necessarily non-graded because of some flaw - they just don't bother doing it. I pretty much stay away from non-graded cards sold by members who do a lot of grading here as well, but maybe I'm missing out.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I'm not really answering your question, but as a buyer, I will not bid as much on raw cards from a seller with graded cards. I learned the hard way with some Heywards from a seller that looked fine in the scan, but all but one came with some noticeable flaw. Once I realized that, I started bidding accordingly. And I think other buyers have caught on because the final prices don't seem to be quite as high as other auction prices, so it's not just me bowing out.

It's also interesting that some sellers here said that their non-graded cards aren't necessarily non-graded because of some flaw - they just don't bother doing it. I pretty much stay away from non-graded cards sold by members who do a lot of grading here as well, but maybe I'm missing out.

You might just be missing out. I've had feedback from buyers stating that the raw cards I sent to them came back 9.5. I just don't waste a ton of time with grading unless it's for my personal collection, or if I think the player has potential in the future - so I hold on to them for longer. I tend to only submit two or three times a year, and then it's for like 45 day orders, so I would only grade for long term reasons.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
You might just be missing out. I've had feedback from buyers stating that the raw cards I sent to them came back 9.5. I just don't waste a ton of time with grading unless it's for my personal collection, or if I think the player has potential in the future - so I hold on to them for longer. I tend to only submit two or three times a year, and then it's for like 45 day orders, so I would only grade for long term reasons.

Same here. There is no reason for me to grade any autos that dont sell for at least $20 raw. Hence why all of my graded are Blues, Golds, Oranges, highend, etc.

The idea that a seller should have all of their cards graded in order to sell quality Raw cards is just foolish.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009

Well, no one would identify you as a seller of graded cards then - all of your graded cards are going into your own collection. In the example I used, this was a Heyward collector who was selling off his collection, and all the raw ones I bought appeared to be ones he didn't grade because of flaws. This is only 1 seller out of thousands though, and only my experience with a few cards - but I do think it hurts his sales.

Do you really have buyers that come back to you weeks after the transaction and let you know how they graded out? That seems crazy to me.

The idea that a seller should have all of their cards graded in order to sell quality Raw cards is just foolish.

I must be missing something here. If you graded all of your cards, what raw cards would you have to sell?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
who really has the money to grade everything. the answer not many. I sell raw cards all the time and I get market value. Remember some sellers sell on consignment too and many sell both.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
That is true, but it's also another way of saying that you're only going to pick out the best of the best to get graded, so the more flawed cards are going to be the ones that you sell raw. And certainly consignments throw a wrinkle into this. But if it doesn't hurt your sales, then the OP will be glad to see your post.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Well, no one would identify you as a seller of graded cards then - all of your graded cards are going into your own collection. In the example I used, this was a Heyward collector who was selling off his collection, and all the raw ones I bought appeared to be ones he didn't grade because of flaws. This is only 1 seller out of thousands though, and only my experience with a few cards - but I do think it hurts his sales.

Do you really have buyers that come back to you weeks after the transaction and let you know how they graded out? That seems crazy to me.

I must be missing something here. If you graded all of your cards, what raw cards would you have to sell?

I actually have had sellers come back that said that in my positive feedback that the card graded out a 9.5. Surprising yes, but I've seen it.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010

Yes I have had buyers come back to me and tell me that they got gem on some raw cards they bought on a particular order. Rare, but not not unheard of.

If they graded all their cards, the raw cards they have left would be the ones that didnt meet min grade, or they could be cracked and sold raw if they actually got slabbed.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
I actually have had sellers come back that said that in my positive feedback that the card graded out a 9.5. Surprising yes, but I've seen it.

Well, good thing it did because it seems like they were waiting on a grade to give you feedback. If it came back an 8.5, I wonder what your feedback would have been? (obviously not implying that this would happen in your auctions, or even that you would deserve anything other than positive feedback no matter what it graded out as)

But that's good to know - I should pay more attention to feedback then because that would make me more likely to buy a raw card if others had positive experiences.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
It's an interesting theory to test for me. I have been selling prospects for a while and haven't graded a single one. I was wondering if I stated grading if it would make people wonder, especially at shows. I think that people wouldn't scrutinize what I had raw if I didn't have a single graded card on the table. But on the flip side, if I buy raw from a seller that say, has half and half.. knowing I don't grade, I'm not very particular about the condition of it.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
Yes I have had buyers come back to me and tell me that they got gem on some raw cards they bought on a particular order. Rare, but not not unheard of.

If they graded all their cards, the raw cards they have left would be the ones that didnt meet min grade, or they could be cracked and sold raw if they actually got slabbed.

I'm actually going to do the same thing on a card I recently bought, but the seller was my LCS, so it's not really quite the same. That's pretty cool that they would follow up like that. And like I mentioned above, something that I would consider when making a bid.

So they're not really quality raw cards then? I don't know - I guess I just don't understand the point he was trying to make. Oh well - maybe it'll come to me later.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Well, good thing it did because it seems like they were waiting on a grade to give you feedback. If it came back an 8.5, I wonder what your feedback would have been? (obviously not implying that this would happen in your auctions, or even that you would deserve anything other than positive feedback no matter what it graded out as)

But that's good to know - I should pay more attention to feedback then because that would make me more likely to buy a raw card if others had positive experiences.

I always list that all my cards are in at least NM-MT condition. So, that if it came back a 8.5, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Members online