Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Pirates, Indians and Reds haul...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
That was a good, funny read - thank you for sharing. The first part about the neurosis involved with having baseballs is spot-on - I live in a high-humidity area, and am uber-anal, so every time I think of doing a ball I go through that exact same mental checklist haha.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Cool...I thought I was the only one! Thanks for reading!

You know what I have started doing? Gently hitting them all with Krylon 53530 spray. At first I was really, really hesitant to spray anything on a ball...but this stuff is magic. 53530 is the non-matte, non-gloss finish that does not turn yellow, so you lightly dust the ball and you can't tell at all that you sprayed it with anything, and it really helps. I have a couple balls that I tested it out on, and the sprayed ones look like the day I got them, while two of the other three began to bleed. And the best thing, like I said, is it does not leave any residue...I have to make up the balls that I already treated or I can't tell which ones are already done.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Best thing I've been able to figure on auto'd balls is trying to keep them in ziplock baggies until they are ready to be signed. Or, like I do at the hotel, I just leave them in the cube but open the cube, leave it open, and move the ball around until I can just quickly reach in and grab it by the seams when need be. I then set it down next to all of my stuff. This keeps me from having to hold it or touch it. As for the baggies, I do that during the astros caravan sometimes because it's way too damn hard to hold 3 or more balls to get signed and keep your prints off of them or keep the auto from smearing. I find that a good way to go. Or, if it's cold out, as it normally is during the caravan stops, I just stick them in my jacket pockets. Gotta be careful though as you might reach in and grab it on the sweetspot.

IMHO, getting a baseball signed can be just as hazardous as anything else. Cards get smeared or come out bubbled even if prepped. Bats can get dropped, rolled(thus smearing the auto), photos can get bent, come out bubbled, or get smeared. I mean, damn near everything you can get signed can go wrong. I guess after a while, you just do the best you can and chalk anything else up to just plain bad luck.

BTW, liked your little expose. Pretty good stuff. I swear they need to do a reality tv show about graphers.

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH

Justin, I met you during the Pirates/Indians series...I remember when that pen that Kipnis used skipped on your ball, bummer, glad to see that you got one later!