Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kevin Gausman Unlikely To Sign w/ Orioles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
From mlbtraderumors.com

"This is turning out to be a tough decision, but as of now my heart is still with LSU," Gausman said. "There are still things for me to accomplish as a Tiger. I still want to play in and win the College World Series, and with a lot of guys coming back next year I believe we can do it."

That's a tough blow to the Orioles but they will get the #5 pick next year if he ends up not signing.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

"This is turning out to be a tough decision, but as of now my heart is still with LSU," Gausman said. "There are still things for me to accomplish as a Tiger. I still want to play in and win the College World Series, and with a lot of guys coming back next year I believe we can do it."

Translation: "I don't want to be an Oriole"

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
While I do believe JP is right here, its not like Gausman has an ability to make the Orioles sweat it out due to the salary restrictions

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
No, he'd go back into the draft.... and the Orioles would get a compensation pick. They picked 4th this year, right? So they'd get pick 4b next year.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
To be honest, being an SEC Baseball follower, I was not super excited about Gausman as an Orioles fan. For whatever reason, the hype was always there, but he never struck me as 'o crap, Gausman is pitching, count that as an L', which is kinda what I'd want from a college pitcher picked top 5. I don't know that there was a better prospect at that pick, but he struck me as a guy that I wasn't happy about getting. Maybe post-Bundy depression, but still.

If he does go back, two words: Wade Townsend. Hope Gausman can play poker half as well as Wade. Good luck to him, except against the Dores.

soxrchamps07

Aug 7, 2008
Negotiating ploy. Same as Appel.

/thread

I think you are underestimating just how much the CBA has changed things. In the case of Appel, the Pirates can offer him a maximum of $3.84 Millon (Slot being 2.9 Million) wtihout giving up their first next year, so Appel is either going to sign for something close to that or he's going back to school. I mean, what motive does Appel have for holding out this long while knowing that he isn't going to get more then 3.84 Million? If Appel is looking for a bonus north of $4 Million and won't take anything less you have to imagine that he's going back to school.

I'm not saying this isn't a negotiating ploy, because it most likely is, but it's a real possibility that the bonus isn't enough or these guys genuinely want to go back to school.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I think you are underestimating just how much the CBA has changed things. In the case of Appel, the Pirates can offer him a maximum of $3.84 Millon (Slot being 2.9 Million) wtihout giving up their first next year, so Appel is either going to sign for something close to that or he's going back to school. I mean, what motive does Appel have for holding out this long while knowing that he isn't going to get more then 3.84 Million? If Appel is looking for a bonus north of $4 Million and won't take anything less you have to imagine that he's going back to school.

I'm not saying this isn't a negotiating ploy, because it most likely is, but it's a real possibility that the bonus isn't enough or these guys genuinely want to go back to school.

Or perhaps the Pirates are deliberately waiting to the last minute to see what bonuses the other holdouts get before getting into serious negotiations with Appel.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Or perhaps the Pirates are deliberately waiting to the last minute to see what bonuses the other holdouts get before getting into serious negotiations with Appel.

Agreed. Hell. Last year the Brewers thought that they had lost out on Jungmann as the deadline passed only to find out they squeezed it in like 15 minutes before. This happens every year. I'll be surprised if Gausman and Appel don't sign the day of if they sign at all.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Appel just told Heyman today that he is leaning towards not signing. As a Pirates fan I could care less.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts