Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospecting question: Is Manny Machado the next Mike Trout?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Disclaimer: I have nothing invested in either of these players and truth be told, I haven't followed either of their prices too closely. This is an assumption made purely on circumstantial/statistical evidence.

I'm wondering what you guys think about this? I remember, in the last off-season, Trouts prices were at lows (weren't gold refractors was around $400?). Most people knew, or at least they suspected that he would make the major leagues sometime this year, but I highly doubt anybody thought that he would have the impact that he has had so far. On the flip side if you look at a player like Machado, he has had a solid season at AA and was comparable in preseason rankings with Trout. Another thing to consider is the fact that the Orioles are still in contention for a playoff spot (albeit barely). Does anybody foresee the shot of Machado being called up in September or sooner if Baltimore gets on a nice hot streak? JJ Hardy's .224/.266 isn't making a significant impact. If Machado doesn't get called up, his prices are probably going to get even cheaper in the off-season, and are almost a certain buy. I guess my question is, would it be wise to make an investment in Machado, with the hopes of him making it to Baltimore this season, or would it be smarter to wait until the off-season?

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
no chance in hell, the last time a 20 year old played like that was A-Rod. Machado isn't even a .270 hitter in the minors for his career. Trout was a .348!! career hitter in the minors.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
As much as I'm rooting for Machado, no way.

I don't even think the Orioles biggest fans would even try to make that Comparison...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
no chance and i understand he's still young but i've watched him play here a couple times in Bowie and I really don't see where all the hype is coming from. I hope to heavens I'm wrong.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
From what I've read, Machado is going to be the next superstar shortstop but at this point, he seems to be a work in progress.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
I think Wil Myers is the guy that compares most to Mike Trout. Wil Myers chrome autos were at $15 upon release much like Trout chrome autos were in 2009. Myers should get a call up soon and will play centerfield with the Royals. There is still a lot of growth in his cards potential compared to his talent level and what Myers is capable of doing at the major league level. If Wil Myers is still rookie eligible next season he could be the No.1 prospect in baseball

Manny Machado is not going to see a call up this year unless its towards the end of September to just get a feel for what the big leagues are all about.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Could be, who knows. I always thought that Trout would flounder (no pun intended) in the majors. I thought he was hyped up too much just like F-Mart. I just didn't see it and then he exploded onto the scene this year and has not looked back. Even with Machado struggling, who really knows. Heck, look at Harper, he was struggling at a high level in the minors but has done very well in the majors. Maybe people really do need to follow the hype.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Profar is a much better bet to be the next Trout-although it will be no easy task.

Profar will stick at SS, has the defense to be plus there-and his game is very similar to Trout-but lacking a bit in power and speed-but not by that much. I certainly wouldn't bet on him being the next Trout, but he has a much better chance than Machado.

Machado is all projection-not a ton of substance there to date. That can always change, though.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
This has nothing to do with your original question and everything to do with your signature meme.

Although it's a witty and clever play on a Drake one liner, Jimmy Brooks actually was a star basketball player so the meme really is not very factual.

On to Machado...don't think so.

Members online